Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden Is Complete! -- November OMG

 I happy to report that the Grandmother's Flower Garden is complete.  I think it turned out lovely.


This is a vintage quilt hand stitched by someone's great grandmother.  I told the person that asked me to quilt it for her that I was not a fan of doing the binding on scalloped edges.  I also told her that I would be quilting it and binding it by machine and trimming the edges off to make it a rectangle.  She thought about it for about a day, ordered the supplies I requested (one piece backing) and shipped it to me.


I quilted it using my Baptist Fan giant template board from Circle Lord.  (Sorry that I hung it upside down for the photo.) Our post office closes at 1pm.  (Yes, we live in the sticks...).  I wanted to get it in the mail.


The back was wide backing fabric actually purchased on Amazon.  I suggested a wide back be used vs. a pieced back to make it lay as flat as possible.  The vintage top was in great shape.  It layed nice and flat.  It was awesome to see someone's handywork from about 100 years ago.  The unquilted quilt top was used as a table covering now and then.  It had a few stains on it.  That goes with the vintage quilts.  I wanted the binding to match the green on the front of the quilt.  I checked at three different places.  I didn't want to try to match the color by looking at things online.  I went with a fabric that matched the front.  I'm not sure if the fabrics used were feed sack material or not. There were little dead bug shells in the hand stitched seams.

It was my OMG (one main goal) to finish this quilt in November, 2022.  It has been mailed back to the owner.  I will be linking up to Elm Street Quilts for the OMG finishes party at the end of the month.




2 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on a fabulous finish, Kathy! I'm sure the owner was happy to have the quilt returned in a more usable form.

Jasmine said...

This is absolutely beautiful. You did a great job finishing this top. I like how it looks squared to a rectangle.