Sunday, November 13, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching

I pulled out this slow stitching project to work on next.  It is a dresser scarf.  It was something my grandmother was working on when she passed away in 1975.  I searched the internet far and wide and did not find color instructions for it.  The printout laying in front of it was the closest that I could find to that design.  I decided to "make it my own".  


This was also my grandmother's wooden hoop.  I love how it adjusts.  It is in great shape.  I found all of this with some of her scrap floss in a small cookie tin.  My husband was so excited when he saw the cookie tin sitting on the little table between our chairs in the living room where we watch tv...until he realized that it was "sewing stuff" and not cookies made by my friend, Judy.  
Bummer for him.  Fun for me.  Oh how I loved my grandma.  She was so talented and creative.  I'm so thankful that God gave us the same creative gene.  

I found a frame this week for my cross stitch finish.


It will sit in the dessert area of the kitchen during Thanksgiving.


I'm linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Slow Sunday Stitching

11 comments:

Ivani said...

You are doing great with the cross stitch green leaves. Your mother in law would be so proud of you.
Your Autumn project looks wonderful on the desert area of your kitchen.
Happy stitching, Kathy!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love your stitchery! Aww, bake your hubby some cookies.

Angela said...

Giggles, too funny about the cookie tin!

Linda said...

How lovely to work on your grandmother's sewing project.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I love the vintage stamped cross stitch piece. A lot of the time with those vintage items, there were very limited instructions. I figure with those, the stitchers at the time used what they had and 'made it their own' anyway. We are just following in our fore-mothers footsteps!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the pretty Autumn cross stitch finish! Melisa will be happy to see it!
What a wonderful experience to be able to work on a project that your Grandmother started!
Poor cookieless hubby :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great job on your Autumn cross-stitch! It looks adorable sitting there with your gingerbread men. How fun to have that stitching from your grandma - such a sweet connection!

Jenny said...

How wonderful to have a family treasure go complete. Your Autumn cross stitch looks great, that didn't seem to take you too long to do. It looks right at home with your gingerbread people.

Kim said...

Your Autumn cross stitch looks pretty in the frame. I love how you have arranged it with the pretty quilt. How lovely to be stitching something your grandmother started all those years ago. I suppose while you are stitching away, all those precious memories of your dear grandmother will cause your heart to smile. Enjoy your stitching♡

CathieJ said...

Autumn looks fantastic. You did a great job framing it. I love that you are working on your grandmother's dresser scarf. I often use them as table runners. Doing your own thing with it will make it a wonderful keepsake from both of you. Enjoy your stitching.

Anonymous said...

Many a person has been disappointed by the contents of a cookie tin full of sewing supplies! Gail at the Cozy Quilter.