Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Midweek Making 11.9.22

A longarm quilting marathon happened this week.  I'm trying to get things quilted before it is too cold to quilt.

This Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt has been finished and mailed to the owner.

The Snail Trail Candle Mat had borders added, was quilted and trimmed!  Ready for binding.  I quilted it with straight line "organic" quilting as I call it.  


Oh I love how the back looks!  This little candle mat happened because I was experimenting with the Snail Trail block.  I feel that this one is "backwards".  


I took in another quilt from a friend to longarm quilt.  It's a general patchwork quilt.  I love the colors.


I also finished the quilting on my Snail Trails Patchwork Cats table topper.  I was experimenting with this pattern to make it Accuquilt friendly.  I quilted it with the design called Marmalade by Urban Elementz.


I straight-line quilted a "rescue" quilt that my sister-in-law got for free at a garage sale last summer.  I am finding that I can straight line something on my longarm when the weather is super cold.  It must be the stitch regulator that doesn't like the cold.  Straight lines are fine, but curves and corners when I have to stop are fine.  I'm going to experiment with other quilts this winter and turn off the stitch regulator.  Yes, that means I'll have to be doing mostly free-hand stitching from the front of the machine vs. pantographs and design boards from the back of the machine.

OH NO... I didn't get a photo of the "rescue" quilt.  

I was so happy to find this block below.  I have been looking for it for a few YEARS!  It was behind one of the bins between the shelf and the wall in my sewing area.  I had been looking for it in the quilt room all this time.  I quickly threw it on the longarm and did more organic straight line quiting.  I love how flat it is.  It has been added back to the list.


On the frame now is my friend's memory quilt.  It has photo blocks on it.  This time I am going around the photo blocks all together.  The material on the photo blocks seems to be different than it was last time.  I'm afraid to rip them.  It should be in the next day or two.


See, I told you it was going to be a quilting marathon this week!

Have you seen Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt colors this year?  Her scrap quilts always intrigue me.  They are just stunning.  My new (just a couple years old) rule is that I need to have Bonnie Hunter quilts finished before I start another.  Well, I dug out my Unity quilt and decided that it just needs some borders, quilting, and a label/binding to be finished.  I'll be adding borders to this soon.  I think I'll start with a light neutral inner border and then go with a grey outer border to frame it.  The colors will go nicely in the RV.


I'm linking up with Susan for Midweek Makers here. 

41 Items remain on the WIP list. (I've had over 90 in the past!). This is PROGRESS!!!

Pieces Need to be Cut & Sewn
 1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern
 2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
 3.  HST Three, Six, Nine Quilt
 4.  Picadilly Circle (one block and border to go)
 5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
 6.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
 7. Little Houses (2.5" blocks) 8.  Leah Day Building Blocks QA
8.  Dresser Scarf (My Grandma's WIP from the 1970's found 1/1/20
9.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
10.  Gypsy Wife QA started in August 2017
11.  Mod Mod QA (from Block Lotto, circles w/lines)
12.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter (started 4/1/2020)
13.  2.5" Scraps from Dani -- making "cracker" blocks 
14.  Maroon Sampler Quilt--I found this on 2.6.21
15.  Kathleen Tracy's 2019 Mystery Quilt Facebook QA started in March, 2019 
16.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
 
 Blocks Still Need to be Made
 1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
 2.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt 
 3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
 4.  Drunkard's Path Variation quilt

Blocks Are Made But Need to be Sewn Together (and/or Some Sashing)
 1.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks 5/17/17 QA
 2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
 3.  Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN Dot Dot Dash Bag, Won April, 2018
 4.  Split Stars (blocks won from the Block Lotto, October, 2012)
 5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
 6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto)
 7.  Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May 2018)
 8. Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18
9.  Rail Fence Blocks (started January 2021 as my leader/enders)
10.  Kite Girl (RSC14)

Quilt Back Needs to be Made (Tops are Done)
1.  Card Trick (pink and blue)
2.  Hunter Green Star Quilt 
3.  Random Ohio Stars -- started January, 2022

Ready to Longarm
1.  Bubble Gum Pink & Navy Quilt
2.  Plus Quilt (Be Positive) started in 2016; quilt top completed 1.1.22 -- A November goal to quilt
3.  Patchwork Quilt CM
4.  Janet's memory quilt (on the frame)

Needs Binding
1.  Patchwork Cats (table topper with Snail Trail tails) Started 10.30.22
2.  Rescue Quilt from my SIL (patchwork squares)
3.  Snail Trail candle mat
4.  FOUND sawtooth star block that I have been looking for (for a couple of YEARS!)

2 comments:

patty a. said...

You have gotten a lot done! The Grandmother's Flower Garden is beautiful! I am sure the owner will be so happy to have it completed!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I just adore everything you got done. Wonderful Grandmother's garden quilt. You make the piecing just shine in all the quilts. Keep it going!