Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Last Two

The last two quilts that I am quiting for others are ready to go back home.  There's a sigh of relief that they are done.  Now I can quilt things that I have made.


Back in the day we would never think to take photos like this.  But now in the digital age we can document anything.  There is only one red bin on my Circle Lord Giant Template Storage System.  LOL.  Usually there are two (my stuff and other's stuff).  I am enjoying the feeling of checking things off the list before it is too cold to quilt.



The wheelbarrow photo above the red bin has a cute story.  It was purchased in December, 1998.  It is very sentimental.  You see, I have always loved gardening.  Yes, my flowerbeds and gardens have weeds, but I still like to grow things.  My husband and I were only dating for four months back then, even though we met in 1995.  We made it serious in 1998.  

It was time for me to get my horse's hooves trimmed that December.  My blacksmith was Amish.  I could not call him to make an appointment.  It was a rare Saturday morning that I did not work.  My husband (then boyfriend) tagged along as I went to make the arrangements to pick up the blacksmith sometime in December and drive him trim my horse's hooves and then drive him back to his shop.  (My blacksmith also did not drive or own a vehicle due to his religious beliefs.). 

After making the arrangements for the appointment, my husband and I stopped at a cute little Amish place for breakfast.  I remember him wearing his good Carhart coat and his JEGS hat.  We were younger and crazy in love and couldn't stop looking at each other over eggs and pancakes.  We still hadn't said those "magic words" to each other yet.  When were were leaving the resturant I saw this picture hanging in the hallway.  It was for sale.  I mentioned how much I liked it.  I didn't buy it at the time.  

Monday morning came.  (My husband and I only dated and did not live together before we were married.) We both went to work.  After my long 12-hour shift at the heavy equipment factory I drove to Amish country on my way home to buy the picture.  I thought it would look great in my living room.  I went into the store and the picture was GONE!  Bummer.  It was the only one.  It was a very small place.  I noticed the waitress and the cashier were the two that were there on Saturday.  One gave me a cute little smile.

Then I asked, "Do you remember what the guy looked like that bought this picture today?"  I described my husband as tall and handsome with a small, trimmed beard and most likely wearing a Carhardt coat and JEGS hat.  The one girl kinda shook her head a little and didn't answer and acted like she was busy cleaning.  I continued to ask her if she knew of where I could buy another picture like that or if there were more in that series that I could see.  The other girl said, "Just tell her so that she doesn't go down the street and buy another one." The girl then said, "He loves you very much."

My heart skipped a beat and happy tears started to flow.  

I received the wheelbarrow picture as a Christmas gift in 1998.  :)

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a sweet story about the picture! I hope you can get your quilts quilted before it gets too cold in your quilting space!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love a good (true) story. Thanks for sharing something so personal with us. Hope you get to quilt something for yourself soon.

patty a. said...

You sure found yourself a winner! How sweet of him to get that for you.

Nancy said...

What a sweet story of love in bloom! I think you should post a clear photo of the painting/drawing so we all can see it.
Congrats on your finishes!