Saturday, February 20, 2021

RSC21 -- More Yellow Scraps Used

Yesterday I finished my Fortune Teller quilt.  You can read all about it here, but here's a photo. 

I finished the quote row for the Full Stop quilt.  You can see my bin of yellow scraps is still hiding behind the chair in the living room.  It looks like I should pull some big chunks out of there and make a few yellow backs for WIPS that are waiting.


Last year I made a few veggies for the Veggie Patch quilt.  You can find details for this pattern at Katie Mae Quilts.  I made the yellow veggies this week:  a squash, a yellow pepper, and two ears of corn.  Here they are with their garden friends, peas and carrots made in 2020.


I'm quite excited about this next little quilt.  These are churn dash blocks received way back in 2013 as part of a swap called the Block Swap Adventure.  It was probably the second swap I ever participated in.  This adventure really helped me learn different skills when I was still a new quilter.  Each month, Linda from Stray Stiches would match quilty bloggers up for a swap.  You would pick the block you want made.  The partner picked the block he/she wanted made.  You swapped.  It was fun for a while.

I decided to use yellow 2.5" scraps and some pink corner stones to set these churn dash blocks into a baby quilt.  I also used a little scrap to make the border.  I think it turned out bright and happy.  Yesterday these blocks were still sitting in a shoe box.  Today they are a finished flimsy!  Thanks, yellow scrap bin!


I even pulled out several "undesireable" yellows to make a quilt back.  I think I may practice a pantograph on this little quilt.  I haven't done a panto for quite a while.  Looks like a great place for it.  I can't believe we only have one more Saturday of yellow.  This month is flying!

I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC21.


I'm also linking up for Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than housework.



31 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I received a bunch of churn dashes in a bag of scraps and it made a great quilt (posted a while back in my blog). I like it so much, I would like to make some churn dash blocks of my own. Yours is a fun quilt.

Darlene said...

Loving the veggie quilt. A perfect way to use yellow scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

YELLOW quotes and veggies for the WIN, Kathy!! Bonus points for the baby quilt and pulling those chunks for the backing. Nice work!!

scraphappy said...

It is a short month, but you have made great progress. Something about sad blocks in a box turning into an adorable baby quilt is just so satisfying. Congratulations!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fortune Teller is just beautiful! And I love veggie blocks, too. That's going to be a fun quilt!

Kathy S. said...

You just can't go wrong with churn dashes, Linda. I really like the 5" ones, but this was back in the day when I didn't realize if the quilt bug was going to get me like it did.

Kathy S. said...

I can't wait until the RSC red month. That will be some fun veggies too.

Kathy S. said...

Joy, you inspired me to try my pantos. I kinda can't wait to throw this back together so that I can play with a flowery one.

Kathy S. said...

It's definitely a productive month for me. I just want to have a bunch of finishes this year to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Kathy S. said...

Thank you. It is such a fun quilt. It really sparkles in the snow.

Ivani said...

Congrats on your finish, Kathy! It is a Beauty! Your veggie blocks looks to be fun to make!

karenbbsnow said...

Love the classic churn dash. Great finish and lots of fun projects coming along.

gayle said...

Lots of gorgeous fun here, but those veggie blocks are the BEST! 8)

Jennifer said...

your veggies are great! heading over to check out the pattern now....

Jennifer said...

PS: i forgot to say your fortune teller quilt is great, too!

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Ivani. They seem to be getting a lot of positive comments.

Kathy S. said...

I'm hoping the scrappy browns for the dirt work out okay. I think they will.

Kathy S. said...

Thank you, Jennifer. :)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! Such a nice post, so much to look at! I love the Fortune Teller quilt, all that color against the white snow. Plus veggie blocks with green backgrounds, and then the rescued churn dash blocks turned into a sweet baby quilt! Congrats on all you are getting done!

Marti said...

I love the bold colors in your Fortune Teller quilt!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much scrappy goodness in this post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love your Fortune Teller quilt! You made lots of progress in the scrap department this month!

Susie H said...

I absolutely love your Fortune Teller quilt! And the baby quilt turned out very sweet. It will be the perfect place to try a panto again. So much yellow flew out of the bins lately. Great job!

patty a. said...

You sure far finding ways to use yellow! The veggies are cute and that has to feel good to have those churn dash blocks now into a quilt top.

Nann said...

That's a big box of yellow scraps! All your projects are sunshiny progress.

Kathy S. said...

It feels great. Tune in tomorrow to see what I did with the other blocks in the box with the churn dash blocks. It was a super productive day. Yeah!

Kathy S. said...

Thanks for visiting my blog again, Karen!

Kathy S. said...

I LOVE Oh Scrap! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Kathy S. said...

It feels so good to just use them up!

Kathy S. said...

Thank you, Sylvia. I love the color against the snow too. It makes the colors look so bright.

Kathy S. said...

The Fortune Teller blocks were fun to make too.