Saturday, January 29, 2022

Last Saturday of Red for the RSC22

I had another productive week with red scraps.We had a couple of snow days in a row.  I managed to pull out a quilt project that I hadn't work on since 2016 called Folk Art Birds.  The pattern is from Kathy Doughty's book, Making Quilts.  I got all of the red blocks done.

This week I made the last two sets for my Rainbow HST quilt.  I got the idea from Jennifer who blogs at Life's Little Adventures. 


I played with some other red scraps this week since my red bin was so close and this project called From the Heart came to my e-mail from Pam Buda:


I think I like taking a cutting project in my sew-to-go bag instead of hand sewing for now.  I'll keep a bag packed for when I sub at the local schools that allow me to do so on my planning periods.

I made FOUR big pieced backs out of large red scraps this week, FOUR!!!  I was so happy that they were done and ready to move to the quilt room that I moved them before I took a pic.  I did get to take a picture of the last one. (I wanted to get my things not needed and taking up room in my sewing/computer area before the big snow.  I knew the driveway would be an icy mess soon.  It is now.)

Here's the pieced back for my Be Positive (plus) quilt which was an RSC project.  (Don't mind the white fabric going across the top. I put a temporary fabric like this sheet to hook it onto my longarm frame when it's less than five inches longer than the quilt.)

\

Here's the red pieced back that was made for my string quilt:


Red backs will be going to:

Be Positive
String Quilt
GO! ABCs
From the Heart (little quilt above in this post).

I also made backs for Cabins by the Lake and Stay Centered.  Woohoo!  RSC progress for sure.  As soon as it's warm enough I hope to get to use my longarm.

We had another surprise snow day on Thursday due to frigid (zero degrees F) temperatures.  I made more 3.5" rail fence blocks with the left over 1.5" strips after I finished my Folk Art Birds blocks.  This time I finished 42 red blocks and 13 "other" blocks.   421 of 900 blocks complete already!


Although it's now even more cold in the longarm room, I feel I had a super productive month of progress of playing with red scraps.  My scrap bin doesn't look like much came out of it, but after making all those backs, I know that it is.  
 
I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy, for the RSC22.

IMAGE NAME

5 comments:

Sara said...

Wowza! You used up a LOT of red this month, especially with the pieced backs. The smaller blocks around the bird are really intriguing. They have a woven look to them. I look forward to seeing what all of these become. Isn't it fun to see the rainbows come to life?

Ivani said...

Great use of red fabrics, Kathy!
From the heart is lovely. What is the block size?

Maggie said...

The birds are unique and happy. Love that you got a lot more done than what you expected. Stay safe and warm, have a wonderful day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a productive month of RED scrap sewing, Kathy!!

Deb A said...

You sure got a lot of progress out of those snow days! Great job with all the prep work making those backings. Stay warm.