Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Binding Making

 Today I'm working on making some binding.  


I know the black binding is for Cabins by the Lake.  The blue binding (that is just sewn and not trimmed and pressed yet) is for my string quilt.  The red binding is for the Be Positive (plus) quilt.  The orange binding is for Gobble Gobble.  Other little pieces of binding are left over from other projects waiting for the right mug rug or small project to come along.

My favorite size binding for anything crib size or more is 2.25" wide.  I also use 2.5" binding often.  I am blessed that I have those Accuquilt strip dies to make the cuts so nice and accurate.  

When I make binding, I quickly trim the angled pieces that occur when I sew them together.  Instead of throwing them into the scrap bin, the little corner gets carefully placed on my Accuquilt 1.5" triangle die.  This makes a new useable triangle for another "someday" project.


It seems like the projects I've been working on these past few months often cast off either 1.5" triangles (like above), 1.5" squares, or 2.5" squares.  Hence why I am often starting new little projects.  I keep them all in the respective bins.  I have bins for the neutrals and bins for the others of each size.

Right now my 2.5" "other" bin is overflowing.  It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to press them.  I don't like having to press them before I use them, so don't be surprised if another project gets started to keep them under control.  I don't like to let these little, accurately cut pieces to go to waste.

Today is our second marathon sewing day snow day in a row.  I'm hoping to be productive.  :). I might visit my longarm room just to quickly load something.  Brrr.  It's too cold in there to quilt.  Even though some finishes could be on hold, other projects are getting closer to the to-be-quilted stage.  




2 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Right now, nothing needs binding here. Of course, that means nothing was recently quilted. I never make the binding until it gets quilted as I have to see how fabric looks with the finished quilting. I have a quilt loaded, but trying to finish piecing my granddaughter's quilt.

patty a. said...

I do like it when I get the binding made before I need it. Stay warm!