Sunday, January 23, 2022

Sunday String Quilt Progress

 I made a lot of progress on the string quilt this week! 


So when I started making this quilt, I was new to string blocks.  I did use phonebook pages as foundation pieces.  I think I messed up when I removed all of the paper before I sashed the blocks.  This made them quite wonky.  You can see that the blue lines do not match up at corners.  Two of the rows are too short, so I added a piece of blue sashing.  One of the rows is too long; I just trimmed it straight...  What a mess.  But it's still quaint.  I just kept on sewing and using this as a learning experience.  Next time I won't remove the papers until the blocks are sashed!

I'm linking up at Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap!

Quilting is more fun than Housework


9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The wonkiness of the quilt just adds to the character of the quilt, perfect for this scrappy quilt. Happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is a string quilt, it has rights to be wonky. More important, it is finished. I also learned the hard way about removing papers before blocks sewn. Great scrappy.

Needled Mom said...

Even in its wonkiness, I do like the double colored sashing.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

String quilts are awesome! And your string blocks have so much movement. The blue sashing is the perfect color.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's a really cute quilt top, Kathy. You USED some scraps, you learned some things, and it will still keep someone warm (and that's the whole point of a quilt this size!!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think this is a beautiful quilt! You could just say you laid it out that way on purpose - a design choice! When I made my most recent string quilt, I stay-stitched all around each block after I took the papers out. I think that might have helped keep those edges under control.

Anonymous said...

Cute.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love this quilt. It is full of vintage charm. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sandy Panagos said...

Honestly, before I started reading I though you had done that deliberately. I think it's pretty and cool and looks improv. I'm serious! Just go with that. lol