Tuesday, January 12, 2021

WIP Wednesday 1.13.21

 I haven't updated where my projects were for a while, so it's time for a WIP Wednesday post.  I am starting off the year with a list of 58 projects.  If you think this is a lot of on-going projects, this list has been in the 90's before, so I am doing awesome of getting this list down.  I do plan to start a project here and there, but my goal is to get this list in the 40's by 2022.  Here we go on what I've been working on...

An item that came off the list this week is the longarm quilting of this little crib quilt for a friend.  I quilted it with my Circle Lord giant template board called Swirls.  I probably should have picked a more delicate pattern for this small quilt.  It does give a nice texture.


Here's the back of the quilt.


When I dropped this quilt off yesterday, my friend gave me another quilt to longarm:


I've done so many quilts for the friend (of the above quilt) that I'm not sure what I like more...longarm quilting for her, or the dropoff/pickup of the quilts.  She is such an amazing person.  I love our visits!

Also yesterday, another friend met up with me in town and gave me a bag of fabrics that she wanted me to "adopt".  Of course I will!  I love her bright colors.  Her mom works at a quilt shop.  There are tiny pieces in here that just scream, "Run me through the 1.5" dies and make a quilt like Cathy's rail fence quilt.  Cathy blogs at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting.  She has inspired me (as she always does) to use up those scraps.  Check out her gorgeous rail fence quilt here. 


There are also at least three baby quilts in this pile.  They are all simple squares and kinda small.  I should throw them all on the longarm at once and donate them to my old quilt guild.  We'll see.  They may be good for me to use when I want to teach someone to use the longarm.

Of course we are still bowling.  This little squirt below decided on his own to try out a new technique in bowling.  He moved all the way over to the right of the marks on the floor and started to throw his ball diagonally towards the head pin.  He bowled his first three games with this technique at 142, 132, and 130!  He works best when I give him a challenge and he figures it out himself how best to meet it.  Amazing!  I lost our little side bet and I will be taking him bowling again later in the week.


I started a new project.  I've never tried stitching blackwork.  It is called the Peppermint Purple SAL Group on Facebook.   Each week a little square or rectangle of blackwork is released.  I'm going to try...


I made a lot of progress playing with pink scraps in the RSC21 (Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2021).  I am making a Winter Blues (pattern by Bonnie Hunter) in pink.




I recently finished my Go Four It quilt top.  The next step is to put together a pieced back.




A big finish for 2020 was my Garden Party quilt.  I was happy to finish it on Christmas Eve so that I could deliver it to the friend for which I made it.  Garden Party is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.




I currently have 59 on-going projects on my list.  They are separated into stages.  This seems like a lot of projects, but I used to have 93 items on my list.  I love the fact that it has gone down so much.

Pieces Need to be Cut & Sewn
 1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern from 
 2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
 3.  Rock Island Campfire Quilt
 4.  Picadilly Circle
 5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
 6.  Winter Blues (a Bonnie Hunter design) in Pink baby quilt (started 1.1.21)
 7.  Patriotic Folk Animals (from Americana Quilts Book) 8/8/19
 8.  Leah Day Building Blocks QA
 9.  Jelly Roll Rug
10.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
11.  Veggie Patch from Katie Mae Quilts
12.  Mod Mod QA (from Block Lotto, circles w/lines)
13.  Owl's Well That Ends Well (RSC19 project started 1/26/19)
14.  Kevin the Quilter's Sapphire Stars Mystery (started Summer 2017) I can't find it!!!
15.  Temperature QA (changing this project to a table topper)
16.  Kite Girl (RSC14)
17.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
18.  Cabins at the Lake (from Fons  Porter Magazine) only one house block complete.)
19.  2.5" Scraps from Dani -- making "cracker" blocks
20.  Waffle Blocks (August 2019 -- RSC19)
21.  Little Houses (3.5" blocks)
22.  Pumpkins & the Beanstalk (a 2nd quilt)
23.  Dresser Scarf (My Grandma's WIP from the 1970's found 1/1/20
24.  Linen & Threads Mystery SAL, Started 1/1/20 for my sew-to-go-bag
25.  Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- needs blocks each month)
26.  Bonnie Hunter Box Kite class from March 2017
27.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter (started 4/1/2020)
28.  Orange, pink, grey kite blocks 2015
29.  Maroon Sampler Quilt
30.  Gypsy Wife QA started in August 2017
31.  Kathleen Tracy's 2019 Mystery Quilt Facebook QA started in March, 2019
32.  2016 Plus Blocks (from left over pieces of Soul Searching Blocks
33.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
34.  Peppermint Purple SAL -- Blackwork started 1.1.21 (This is a Facebook group.)

Blocks Still Need to be Made
 1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
 2.  Scrap Crystals (RSC15)
 3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
 4.  Drunkard's Path Variation quilt
 5.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt 

Blocks Are Made But Need to be Sewn Together (and/or Some Sashing)
 1.  Block Swap Adventure Orange/Yellow Sampler (2011-2012)
 2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
 3.  Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN Dot Dot Dash Bag, Won April, 2018
 4.  Split Stars (blocks won from the Block Lotto, October, 2012)
 5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
 6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto; October 2012)
 7.  Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May 2018)
 8.  Sonja's Windows string quilt
 9.  Block Swap Adventure (2013) Churn Dash Blcoks
10.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks 5/17/17 QA
11.  Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18

Quilt Back Needs to be Made (Tops are Done)
1.  Card Trick (pink and blue)
2.  Hunter Green Star Quilt
3.  Good Fortune -- A Bonnie Hunter Mystery started Thanksgiving weekend, 2018
4.  Sand Castles -- Bonnie Hunter string quilt started January, 2019 -- an RSC project
5.  Go Four It!  Scrappy 4-patches started as leader/ender, June 2017
6.  Fortune Teller (RSC14)

Ready to Longarm
1.  Bubble Gum Pink & Navy Quilt
2.  Soul Searching -- Julianne sent it to me on 8/29/19
3.  Simple Squares CM quilt - Picked up from friend 1/12/21



I'm linking up with Midweek Makers   Enjoy all the eye candy at Quilt Fabrication.


Our son was happy that the CLEVELAND BROWNS are now in the playoffs!  He was also happy to ride his four wheeler this week.  This was taken on Sunday when we didn't have any snow at the time.



4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I LOVE the quilting you quilted for your friend, that texture is awesome!!!! I look forward to seeing Go 4 It quilted, happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations on whittling down your list. I really need to pull out all my projects and reassess, but it is scary. So few understand. Glad Owen is still meeting good challenges and getting out. Your quilting is delightful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Actually, Kathy, I think the Swirls were fine for that client quilt. I just longarmed a 24" square quilt with my Swirls board last week! Have fun with that scrap infusion. LOVE your Winter Blues (in PINK!)

patty a. said...

You and Owen sure keep busy! That fabric you adopted is wonderful! What a gift! Your list of projects to complete is amazing.