Sunday, January 10, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

Today I want to show you a gift that I received from a dear friend for Christmas.  She made me this beautiful hat and finger-less glove set. It is made out of alpaca wool.  It is so soft and warm!  I do not have this kind of talent to or patience to knit or crochet right now.  (Although I did buy a book for crochet a while back LOL.)  It's very cold in the room where I longarm.  


It's very cold in the room where I longarm.  The room is only slightly heated.  Yesterday I started quilting wearing this set and my Carhart coat.  My husband changed the way the insulation was recently and we turned on the furnace.  I keep a half of a bottle of water in the room.  It was not frozen yesterday, but the bottle has frozen in the past.

I was hoping to show you the start of my new handwork project for 2021.  I hope to be stitching along with the Peppermint Purple SAL Group on Facebook.  Each week a small square or rectangle of blackwork is released as a free pattern.  I'm still in the process of laying out and counting where the first stitch starts.  I have not tried blackwork yet.  It should be a fun learning experience.

This is as far as my Peppermint Purple SAL has made it:


I've never used this type of embroidery hoop.  I found it while sorting things in my quilting room.  It was in a box of items I bought at a garage sale at least 10 years ago.  It will fit the area that needs stitched each week.  Time to experiment with it.


I'm linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.





8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Alpaca wool is supposed to one of the warmest wools, hopefully it really is! Good luck with the blackwork, I look forward to see it next week, happy stitching!

Sarah said...

Lovely hat and glove set, lucky you! I've done a little blackwork and enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing you get started.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful gloves! Alpaca is so wondeful. I gave up knitting to concentrate on quilting. I was the world's slowest knitter.

Kim said...

Your hand warmers are beautiful and they look so warm; such a lovely gift. A pretty hat, too. They should keep your hands very cosy. I look forward to seeing your new stitching project this year. I have used hoops like the one you have and I think they are great. Just a little aside.....love that flowery carpet of yours. =)

patty a. said...

What a lovely gift! You will think of your friend every time you wear the hat and gloves. I am interested to see your blackwork project.

CathieJ said...

That hat and glove set is very pretty. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift. I am looking forward to seeing your SAL project.

Deb said...

Lovely hat and gloves set I imagine they keep you very warm and toasty. The embroidery hoop works well in keeping the fabric tight, my only complaint is I sometimes get my thread caught in the part you squeeze drives me crazy.

Jenny said...

What a lovely gift from your friend, just what you need in the chilly weather. I do knitting but just cant get the hang of crochet. The black work sounds interesting, did you know it dates back to 14th century or so. It is said that Kathryn of Aragon brought the craft to England from Spain when she came over to marry Arthur, then of course she was Henry 8th