Sunday, January 17, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching -- Blackwork Project -- Peppermint Purple SAL

 I finished week 1 of the Peppermint Purple SAL Group.  It is my first blackwork project.  I think it's cute so far.  I put my 5" Fiskars next to it for size comparison.  I do like this hoop.  I'm getting used to it.  I like the size of it.  I think this took me a little over TWO hours to do!  I'm a newbie.  It's not how long it takes...It's about how much enjoyment I get doing it.  :)


You can join in on the FREE fun in the facebook group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/PeppermintPurpleSALGroup

You may have heard me mention that we have a herd of outside cats.  We had a nice female stray and a nice male stray.  We can't catch the male.  The female has had kittens before and they all found new homes.  BUT we had two different litters that were born during the pandemic.  For a while we had a nobody in/nobody out rule except for people that delivered things (Amazon, UPS, FedEx...)  Now we have TEN cats!  Pictured below is one of the kittens from the first group.  Her name is Ezra.  She likes to come to the window by my sewing machine and tap on the window.  She is also the first one to get pet when we walk out the kitchen door.  She sits on top of the grill by the steps.  She is very friendly.  I'm getting attached to several of them.  I never considered myself a crazy cat lady, but here I am crushing it!

I'm linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

15 comments:

linda said...

That kitty is so cute peeping in at the window but 10! wow that's a lot. Your sewing is lovely, I'm not sure that I'd have the patience to do blackwork it looks so detailed. Have a lovely Sunday.

Birthe Marie said...

Your blackwork embroidery is beautiful!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blackwork project, a lot of tiny stitches! Looks fun to make.

Ivani said...

Your Blackwork is looking beautiful Kathy.
So cute the cat peepin in at the window <3

Gretchen Weaver said...

You're not the crazy cat lady yet, the cats are OUTSIDE! It's when you let them inside that you become crazy. Hopefully they'll keep the mouse population down. Question, why is your counted cross stitching called blackwork when you're using colored thread? It is very pretty, happy stitching!

Deb A said...

kittens are so cute! The embroidery is looking great.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are so right... it's all about the enjoyment!
That is very pretty stitching!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful stitching. The kitten is cute. I once had a feral mother bring her two kittens to my yard, the poor things were eating plums that had crashed to the ground on my patio. I started feeding them. I eventually neutered one of the kittens after her and her sister had a litters of kittens. I could never catch her. The one was my faithful outdoor cat for years, until she disappeared about 2 years ago. I think she went and died somewhere. I called her Mama Mia. She was such a sweet cat!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

cute kitty. I wish I wasn't deathly allergic to cats (like EpiPen and ER visit allergic - sigh). I love modern blackwork, I have done it quite a bit on band samplers and would like to try a pictorial piece at some point.

Jenny said...

You are so right, it's not about how long your stitching takes, that why some of us have rather old UFOs!
Goodness me, 10 cats! What are you going to do with them all. Guess the younger ones will be reaching breeding age soon, along with their mothers again

Linda Swanekamp said...

I would not be able to sew something so small. It looks lovely. I confess to be a cat lady, but my husband has me limited to one for now. And probably for good cause- the vet bill for one visit with bloodwork was astronomical.

Little Penpen said...

Pretty stitching! and the cat is adorable. We aren't "cat people" but have started feeding a few strays our by our barn. I love watching them from the kitchen window!

patty a. said...

Pretty stitching!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a pretty stitching project to work on, Kathy. And what a sweet kitty peeking into your window. I hope you have a lovely week . Happy stitching.

Faye said...

I like your colour choices for the blackwork project.
And, you can never have too many cats!