Saturday, October 15, 2022

October RSC22

I'm happy to report that I completed the School House quilt top in light blue this week.  I started working on this project in September, 2022.  


I wasn't sure if I liked this Accuquilt die when I first purchased it.  It wasn't the simple just throw it on the die and crank it through type of die.  It has folding and counting involved.  I had to make sure the fabric was the correct side up.  Hmmm.  But now that I see the end result, I LOVE IT!  I can see more school house quilts in my future.  

Yesterday while digging through batting scraps for a small project I found the perfect piece of batting for this quilt -- all in one piece!  Next I almost found the perfect backing.  a piece of leftover border from the front sewn down the backing made the perfect sized back.  Oh how I love when a project comes together like this right out of the scrap bins.

I also moved another RSC project into the flimsy stage.  This quilt is called Random Ohio Stars.  This is a free pattern on Bonnie Hunter's blog.  You can find it here.  I started putting blocks for this quilt together in January of 2022.  I'll be digging through the scraps bins for a back for a pieced back for this soon.


Both of these quilts will sit on the to-be-quilted pile for a little while because I have two quilts with deadlines that need to be returned to their owners.

I kept gowing past these plus blocks in the scrap basket.  Why they were in the scrap basket, I had no idea.  Orphan blocks have their own tote bin.  But anyways, I decided to sew them together and call them a project.  My son could use a little table topper on his night stand anyways.  There's a lot of fun neutrals in this one.  I love that "Sam I Am" scrap.  I don't think I have much of that left.




I'm linking up at Angela's blog for the RSC22.

IMAGE NAME

I'm also linking up to the party over at Patchwork & Quilts #125 here.

9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your schoolhouse quilt! I hope you quilt her soon, she looks like she'll be a wonderful quilt to cuddle on. Happy stitching!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Two beautiful quilts Kathy!! I love them both. I wonder if I could manage the schoolhouse, as a retired teacher, I kind of think I should make one of those. But it looks fiddly and accuracy is an issue for me.

Jasmine said...

That school house quilt looks beautiful. I always love finding the perfect batting and backing. (For me the backing usually ends up being minky though.)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your freshly finished quilt tops, Kathy, and a bonus table topper top to boot!! :o))

Maggie said...

Wow, the fun of getting the blocks done into a flimsy. Each step is a celebration and it is wonderful when we find blocks we did not know we had. Those school house blocks are beautiful. The Accuquilt dies make life a lot better to cut fabrics.

Jenny said...

Three quilt tops done, great work! You've been so productive.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on moving your projects to the flimsy stage! That always makes me happy!!

Lin said...

Two lovely flimsy finishes - I love the stars! xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Boths quilt tops are beautiful, and it's great to have already found the perfect batting and backing for one of them! The Pluses are lovely too, pretty fabrics in here.
Thank you for sharing these good news and pretty flimsies, and linking up!