Thursday, February 25, 2021

The Santa Claus Tree Skirt

Yep, I started another project!  I'm not surprised.  I did have a Thanksgiving quilt and a Christmas tree skirt on my wish list of finishes for 2021.  Every year when we put up the Christmas tree my husband and I can't believe that I haven't made a tree skirt.  Well, THIS is the year.


These four blocks took hours!  But the time spent was totally worth it.

The Santas above are for a tree skirt pattern called Santa Claus Tree Skirt.  The pattern can be found in the book called More Quick Rotary Cutter Quilts by Pam Bono Designs.  I really bet you are wondering why I decided to put yellow flowered coats on my Santas?  This fabrics is VERY sentimental.  It was a WIP of a house dress that my grandma was making.  She passed away in 1975.  I hung on to it all this time and wanted a place special for it.  I was only ten years old then.  I am still very sentimental.

The house dress was all cut out and partially started.  I cut around the darts and cut out the zipper.  Only the first few instructions were completed.  I found this in my yellow scraps bin and thought that this would be the perfect place for it.  I adored my grandma.  I still remember the day that I watched her sew Lambsy, my stuffed animal, and put the beans back in it.  She was an amazing quilter and seamstress and crafter.  I will think of her every holiday season with this quilt around our tree.  The alternate blocks for this pattern are trees with HSTs.  I think the yellow calico really jazzes it up.  It's Christmas... it will be under the tree...  I don't think the Santas will be hard to recognize in this quilt even with the yellow flowery print coats.  I LOVE it already!

I may pick some of Grandma's buttons for the eyes.  The pattern suggests buttons.

I'm linking up at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.  Kelly featured my Fortune Teller quilt that I finished last week.  I am honored!  She featured several rainbow quilts.  Check them out!






6 comments:

patty a. said...

That is wonderful you used that fabric from your grandmother! Like you said you will think of her every time you place the tree skirt under the Christmas tree. There is enough red in the fabric to make it look like Santa has a fancy embroidered jacket on.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fantastic, Kathy!! What a special tree skirt it will be. I'm sure Grandma would approve!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am glad you can personalize your work. Looks fun.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, Kathy, how special is this. And yes, a wonderful time of year to especially remember your remarkable grandmother.

Peacemeal said...

Amazing! I have her books and read them like a novel. I went to her store once a long time ago and she had the most amazing fabrics and books. Lovely use of the fabric, I try to slip a little snippet into my quilts from my gram and my mom to make things 3 generations too. Thanks for all the tips.

Sheri said...

I love your Santas and the sweet story that goes with them! I was immediately drawn to visit your blog when I saw them on Needle and Thread Thursday. I'm pretty sure your Grandma is smiling from Heaven!!! I haven't made a tree skirt yet and it's on my list too.