Friday, February 5, 2021

Fortune Teller on the Frame! RSC21

 Today I'm sharing that I have started quilting my Fortune Teller quilt.  It has been loaded on my longarm frame.  Sometimes getting it loaded and started is the hardest part.  I can't believe that I started this quilt block SEVEN years ago!  Time flies.

This is my Fortune Teller Quilt.  The pattern for this quilt can be found in the book Sunday Morning Quilts.   It is written by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison.  I was lucky that I could get a copy from my local library.  I started this project by making a couple of fortune teller blocks in the color of the month as a RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) project back in 2014.

I am quilting it using my Circle Lord giant template board called Swirls.  I chose a gently used, soft flannel sheet so that I had a one-piece backing.  This quilt will be a gift for my friend's daughter that is graduating high school this year.  I know it will be washed often and LOVED.  Her party is in May.  I have some breathing room!

Next week at this time I should have it all quilted so that you can see the whole quilt.  Stay tuned...

I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy, for the RSC21.

I started another new RSC project.  The first one is called Stay Centered.  It is a free pattern that I got on the APQS website here.  I made the yellow row.  I'll put this row away until one of the other colors appear as our color of the month.


Another RSC project that I started last month is the GO! ABCs Throw Quilt Pattern.  This is a free pattern (right now) on the Accuquilt site here.  I have decided which month will be which color and spaced them out on the pattern.  This month I ended up making three letters.  Now this project is done for February.  I'll put it in the happy little bin until March.  I am adding as much of the block that I can to assemble the quilt.  I notice that sometimes my projects stall because all of the blocks are made but I have to take time to do all the sashings and cornerstones.  I will continue to build each row as much as I can.  I seem to have more time in the winter months to sew than the summer months.


I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC21.




24 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Fortune Teller is a gorgeous quilt, Kathy and love your new blocks. I always enjoy visiting your blog.You are such an inspiration. Have a blessed weekend.

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Melisa. I LOVE the way you decorate with so many fun thrift finds and cross stitch!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Fortune teller is a great graduation quilt for your friend's daughter. Looking forward to next week to see the finish, happy stitching!

Kathy S. said...

Me too! I'll be happy to check another quilt completed and off my list!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of fun with yellow at your house this week! I love the Fortune Teller quilt. That will make a great graduation gift!

Maggie said...

Your yellow blocks look great and you are quilting a quilt. Looking forward to seeing the whole quilt.

karenbbsnow said...

Sunday Morning Quilts was one of the first quilting books I bought. Amanda Jean's blog was my go to when I was teaching myself to quilt nearly 10 years ago now.

The Fortune Teller quilt is beautiful. The other projects looks fun.


















Ivani said...

Great yellow blocks Kathy, and I love the quilt picture on the frame, it is almost done.

Sarah said...

Fortune teller is a lovely quilt. You have a great selection of yellows!

Kathy S. said...

Thanks. They did use up strings that I have tons of. I like that they are at different angles. It gives the blocks interest.

Kathy S. said...

I'm so happy and fortunate to be quilting at this time of year. My husband has been heating the quilting room for me. It's nice!

Kathy S. said...

I love her scrappy designs.

Kathy S. said...

Thanks. My favorite part of the longarm quilting process is when I can move the chair that holds the bottom part of the quilt and batting so that it doesn't hit the floor. I have moved the chair signaling to me that I am past the half way point.

Kathy S. said...

My 25ish gallon tote of yellow scraps is overfull. It's very heavy. I need to make a little headway on busting some yellow scraps so that I can root around in there and pet the scraps. I see a yellow backing for a quilt (or two) in my near future.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is beautiful- no matter when it was started. It will be finished and loved and that is all that counts. Other projects look real interesting.

patty a. said...

Good for you that you got Fortune Teller sewn together and now on the longarm! You have been making great progress getting projects quilted and bound!

Kathy S. said...

I've set a goal--21 finished quilts for 2021. I know it can be done with as many as I have in progress as far along as they are.

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Linda. I know the two extra projects I added will take about two days of each month. That's not bad as long as I keep up with it. I definitely have the scraps for it. Time to keep using them.

The Cozy Quilter said...

The Fortune teller quilt is beautiful. Your friend’s daughter will love it!

scraphappy said...

Always so happy to see a rainbow quilt on the frame. And to have a finish already for a graduation gift. Way to work ahead! Love the yellow row for your stay centered quilt. Looks like a fun pattern.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the link to the new project you've started, Kathy, and best of luck with the quilting of your colorful Fortune Teller quilt!

Jenny said...

I dont think I've seen Fortune Teller blocks before, they look about 12/15 inches square perhaps. I loved Amanda Jean's Friday Finish blog link up, so inspirational.

dq said...

It is perfect for RSC too! Enjoy the quilting process.

patty a. said...

That is quite a goal, but the way you have been cranking thru them lately you ought to meet that goal. The quilting will probably slow down for you when the weather breaks because you will have the garden, chickens, and lots of fun adventures with Owen.