Wednesday, February 24, 2021

WIP Wednesday 2.24.21

 It's been a wonderfully productive week in the quilting sense!  Here's what happened this week:

I finished the Fortune Teller quilt (pattern by Amanda Jean Newburg).


I made some veggies for the Veggie Patch quilt at Katie Mae Quilts.




I finished the row of four sets of quotes for the Full Stop quilt with RSC21 group.


I used large pieces of undesirable yellow fabrics from my yellow scrap bin to make quilt backs for The Churn Dash Quilt, Sand Castles, and Soul Searching.  That's three quilts getting close to a finish!  I can finally put a lid on the yellow scrap bin.

Now this quilt below is just a hot mess!  I'm not sure if I like anything about it except that I'm done making the top.  These blocks started out to be my Temperature QA.  Each fabric represented the high or low for the day.  Yuck.  I can tell why I quit working on it.  I also didn't like the way that the ends of the rows were going.  I ripped it apart and put it in a 9x9 layout.  I'm not sure if it will be a cute crib quilt, but it will be a quilt.


I may experiment with these templates that I got on Wish.  Have you ever shopped on Wish?  Oh dear.  It's like a gamble every time I order something.  I think these templates will be actually one of the good things I got on Wish.  It looks to me like things are printed backwards on them.  That may have been why they are so cheap.  I don't think that really matters to me.


Looks like my camera was hacked in to while I ran in to Sam's Club to get lunch stuff in bulk for my husband.  Little squirt...


This is the pile of left over undesirable yellows that I made quilt backs out of.  I had to rip the edges of the big pieces to make a straight edge.  I will run them through my Accuquilt strip dies and make 2.5" and 1.5" strips quickly.  


This brings me down to 58 projects on my WIP list.  This is getting exciting for me. 

Pieces Need to be Cut & Sewn
 1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern from 
 2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
 3.  Rock Island Campfire Quilt
 4.  Picadilly Circle
 5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
 6.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
 7.  2016 Plus Blocks (from left over pieces of Soul Searching Blocks
 8.  Leah Day Building Blocks QA
 9.  Jelly Roll Rug
10.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
11.  Veggie Patch from Katie Mae Quilts
12.  Mod Mod QA (from Block Lotto, circles w/lines)
13.  Owl's Well That Ends Well (RSC19 project started 1/26/19)
14.  Kevin the Quilter's Sapphire Stars Mystery (started Summer 2017) I can't find it!!!
15.  Gobble, Gobble, pattern by Lori Holt, started February 2021
16.  Kite Girl (RSC14)
17.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
18.  Cabins at the Lake (from Fons  Porter Magazine) only one house block complete.)
19.  2.5" Scraps from Dani -- making "cracker" blocks
20.  Waffle Blocks (August 2019 -- RSC19)
21.  Little Houses (3.5" blocks)
22.  Pumpkins & the Beanstalk (a 2nd quilt)
23.  Dresser Scarf (My Grandma's WIP from the 1970's found 1/1/20
24.  Linen & Threads Mystery SAL, Started 1/1/20 for my sew-to-go-bag
25.  Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- needs blocks each month)
26.  Bonnie Hunter Box Kite class from March 2017
27.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter (started 4/1/2020)
28.  Full Stop, started RSC21 (January)
29.  Maroon Sampler Quilt--I found this on 2.6.21
30.  Gypsy Wife QA started in August 2017
31.  Kathleen Tracy's 2019 Mystery Quilt Facebook QA started in March, 2019
32.  Rail Fence started during the pink month of RSC21, January 2021
33.  GO! ABC Quilt started during the pink month of RSC21, January 2021
34.  Stay Centered started February, 2021


Blocks Still Need to be Made
 1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
 2.  Scrap Crystals (RSC15)
 3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
 4.  Drunkard's Path Variation quilt
 5.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt 

Blocks Are Made But Need to be Sewn Together (and/or Some Sashing)

 1.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks 5/17/17 QA
 2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
 3.  Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN Dot Dot Dash Bag, Won April, 2018
 4.  Split Stars (blocks won from the Block Lotto, October, 2012)
 5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
 6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto; October 2012)
 7.  Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May 2018)
 8.  Sonja's Windows string quilt
 9.  Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18

Quilt Back Needs to be Made (Tops are Done)
1.  Card Trick (pink and blue)
2.  Hunter Green Star Quilt
3.  Good Fortune -- A Bonnie Hunter Mystery started Thanksgiving weekend, 2018
4.  Block Swap Adventure Orange/Yellow Sampler (2011-2012) -- Now named the Citrus Quilt
5.  Temperature QA (changing this project to a table topper or crib quilt)

Ready to Longarm
1.  Bubble Gum Pink & Navy Quilt
2.  Patriotic Folk Animals (from Americana Quilts Book) 8/8/19
3.  Block Swap Adventure (2013) Churn Dash Blocks
4.  Sand Castles -- Bonnie Hunter string quilt started January, 2019 -- an RSC project
5.  Soul Searching -- Julianne sent it to me on 8/29/19

I'm linking up with Midweek Makers.  Enjoy all the eye candy -- especially the super cool peppermint reindeer this week.

7 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have got so many wonderful projects going on, Kathy and they are all so pretty. I do not see how you get done all that you do. You are finishing out the month with some pretty yellow projects too . Great idea on striping your undesirable fabrics. I still need to make my quotation marks. I did cut out a few strips of yellow to make a small beehive quilt this week. I think I will do some appliqueing once I piece them. Have a great rest of the week and happy quilting.

patty a. said...

That quilt top will make a perfect giveaway quilt. Use some crazy colored thread on it and that will bring it together. I have never heard of Wish. By gamble, do you mean you might not get an item or are the items not described very well do you don't know what you are getting? Looks like those templates could be useful. Owen giving himself horns - too funny!

Needled Mom said...

You really did have a good quilting week! I love the veggie blocks. I think the hot mess blocks are looking nice. It’ reminds me of fall.

Kathy S. said...

Right now I am getting a lot of sewing done because I haven't gone to work since March 12, 2020. I am/was a substitute teacher. Now our son is a remote learner, I stay home and help him each day with his school work. It takes him about 3 to 4 hours per day to complete his school work. If he works really hard and stays on task he doesn't have much work to do on Fridays. (I'm trying to teach him the concept of working four 10's so that he can have Fridays off.) We reserve Fridays for Fieldtrip Fridays. Right now with all the snow we don't go anywhere but like to sled or build something in the garage or cook. If my back is better we may even try to paint the bathroom one day. That's how I am getting so much done right now. Once the weather is nicer I won't be as productive sewing-wise.

Kathy S. said...

By gamble I mean that the items are not what they appear in the photos. For example, I really believe the print on these templates are upside down. The little reusable zip pouches I bought made of silicon do not stay sealed. The round ball ice cube maker's lid didn't fit. The silicon microwave popcorn popper I bought lets the popcorn fly out all over the microwave. The shoes have been good as long as you know your European size. The re-usable swimming pool filters were too long (we had to cut them to fit.) In my personal opinion, it's like getting seconds. But things are super cheap. The shipping costs more than the items most times. It usually takes a month or so to get the item that you ordered.

Kathy S. said...

I remember your temperature quilt was what inspired me to make one that year.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice work progress! Thanks for sharing the photos.