Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fortune Teller -- Quilting Complete! RSC21 -- Drumsticks?

I finished the quilting on my Fortune Teller quilt.  Now you can see the whole thing (minus the binding and label.)


This is my Fortune Teller Quilt.  The pattern for this quilt can be found in the book Sunday Morning Quilts.   It is written by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison.  I was lucky that I could get a copy from my local library.  I started this project by making a couple of fortune teller blocks in the color of the month as a RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) project back in 2014.

I quilted it with my Circle Lord giant template board called Swirls.  I used a soft, flannel, gently used sheet for the back so that it had a nice, one-piece back.  I know it will be used and loved.

Cathy that blogs at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting inspired me in (as she always does) to use up those scraps.  Check out her gorgeous rail fence quilt here.  She made 900 blocks here and there over a few years and ended up with a gorgeous quilt.  

I loved the idea of using up 1.5" strips of the color of the month for the RSC and started making them in 2021.  Here's 14 more for 28/900 complete. Sometimes an extra color slips in there.


Drumsticks?  Yes, I'm making drumsticks...  It started out like this:


I cut all the little yellow pieces needed to make turkey legs (hence why I'm calling them drumsticks.)  These are for the pattern called Goggle Gobble by Lori Holt.  I bought this pattern so long ago when it I had just a little extra to spend from a gift certificate.  I knew it would be a fun, scrappy adventure, so here we are.  I don't have many holiday quilts.  I do have a few Christmas quilts.  I can totally decorate with quilts!  I made a sample turkey block just to make sure I liked it.  I LOVE it!  I love all the dot fabrics that I'm using on this one.

I know it's a new project, but a few are finished already this year.  I also need to think about a tree skirt.  My husband still can't believe we don't have a quilted tree skirt.


I just kept cutting and sewing and all the little legs were done.  I cut enough yellow pieces to make the turkey beaks as well.  They are not all sewn yet.  These blocks are very fun!


I loved it when I wrote this blog post that I noticed a couple extra photos on my SD card.  Looks like someone took the camera up to his room and took a photo of him on his computer.  Now that he's a teenager I give him as much freedom as I can.  I have all the settings on his computer to keep him as safe as we can.  He is still doing great with remote learning, but the work is getting harder.  He does almost all of his schoolwork on his own.  He especially helps me when we have virtual meetings.  He knows how to do all of the fancy things like change his background and share documents and.  He's definitely my mini me.

I'm linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for the RSC21.  Come join the fun and bust those scraps in the color of the month.



21 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Drumsticks? SEW funny, Kathy!! Will all the turkey feathers be spotty, dotty fabrics? If so... LOVE!!! :o))

Sarah said...

That's a lot of legs Kathy! and it made me laugh when I saw all your turkey legs. It's a great block! Lovely quilting on your fortune teller quilt btw.

Darlene said...

The turkey blocks are fun. Also your rainbow scrap quilt is beautiful. Such an inspiration, chipping away a little at a time and look what you get.

scraphappy said...

Fortune Teller is gorgeous! The best thing about finishing an old quilt is starting a new one. The little rail fence blocks will be a great growing collection. Hope the online schooling continues to go well, it seems to get harder as time goes on. Hopefully vaccinations will help us all get back to normal soon.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Fortune Teller quilt - so many fun scraps in it! The turkey block and legs are great, too. I love decorating with quilty things!

grammajudyb said...

Good idea to cut all the drumsticks and beaks ahead! That way you won’t be struggling to find more necessary yellow/gold/ orange! I’m so glad to see Fortune Teller! I borrowed Sunday Morning Quilts from our library a few years ago! It’s a great resource!

Kathy S. said...

Yes, I think they will be dots, spots and maybe a swirl.

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Sarah. It's nice to be able to chunk up a project and just do all of one thing once in a while.

Kathy S. said...

Definitely chipping away a little at a time! Thank you.

Kathy S. said...

Although we don't have to decide until August, our IEP is next week. We are already leaning towards keeping him at home all of 8th grade as well because he had so much growth during 7th grade. His MAP scores showed so much improvement this year.

Kathy S. said...

Sometimes I'm wondering when is too much... Now that I'm starting to join in on Joy's table scraps challenge I know there will be a little quilt on top of every surface we own after a year or so. LOL.

Kathy S. said...

Yes, once I put the yellow bin away I can't think of any special projects that will need it for a while. It won't be far if I do.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fortune teller is amazing!! and I kept looking for the drumsticks - what a great block!!

Deb A said...

I'll have to look up the fortune teller pattern. Your's turned out great. Love the Drumsticks! That is too funny and love where this one is headed. So fun to see what teenage boys will take photo's of!

Susie H said...

Drumsticks is a GREAT name! Your Fortune Teller blocks went together wonderfully and the quilting added so much fun to it.

patty a. said...

That turkey block is so darn cute! That so funny you found the picture of Owen. And another quilt almost done! The Fortune Teller turned out wonderful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The fortune teller quilt looks great.

Kathy S. said...

I'm at the point where I used to try to use my smallest of scraps. With the Gobble Gobble quilt I am going to finally use all those dots, circles, and swirls that I have been collecting. It will still have variety, but it will be extra bright and colorful.

Kathy S. said...

I was unsure of how those black, brown, and grey blocks would play with the colors. I'm happy with the results.

Mayleen said...

The Fortune Teller quilt is a great idea for using up strips! Someone's going to enjoy cuddling in its warmth. Turkey leg blocks are fun too!

Cathy said...

Lovely Fortune Teller. I see you are well on your way to a deliciously scrappy Rail Fence and ooh, those fun Turkeys! Go, Kathy, Go!