Friday, February 18, 2022

PQ 13.4 Mining for Diamonds Challenge

Have you tried any of the Project Quilting challenges?  This is my first one.  Challenge 4 of Project QUILTING Season 13 is called Mining for Diamonds.   Ahhh.  I haven't made a quilt with diamonds yet.

It measures 60" x 7" to fit our shelf in the living room.  

For this challenge I decided to go with the rhombus shape.  Oh to think that when my kid was in kindergarten that he didn't pass a math test or two because he didn't know the rhombus shape and always called it a diamond...  That's in the past.  Let's move on...

The diamonds in my shelf runner were all cut with my Accuquilt die 55027.  I used scraps from my light blue bin that I have been working on as the scrap color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, 2022 -- better known as RSC22.  We link up each week on Saturday and share our scrappy progress.  I rummaged through the scrap bin and picked out a few blues and had them pressed and cut in under 20 minutes on Tuesday.

Don't you love it when you go to quilt an unusual shaped piece and you reach in the batting scraps and find that perfect piece?  This piece of Warm & Natural quilt batting was trimmed off of the edge of another quilt.  The fabric I used for the backing was a piece that I bought yards and yards and yards of at a garage sale at least ten years ago.  I don't have much of it left.  This shelf runner will be turned over and displayed as the backing during April because Easter decorations go on that shelf.


I quilted it using the long wavy lines from my Circle Lord giant template board called Egyptian Eye.  I already had the template board set up from the previous quilt.  The runner was quilted in about 15 minutes on Wednesday after I found the right piece of batting.

I really like the diamond effect.  I think this would make a great border of a larger quilt someday.  Previously I had only used this die to make blocks that were diamonds in a square (3.5").  This gives this die a whole new use and many more possibilities!  Thank you PQ 13.4 for letting me step out of my comfort zone and challenge me to try something new.


Into the light blue scrap bin I reached again until I found this simple blue for the binding.  Thursday I started putting on the binding but was way to distracted from a meeting that I had at the school.  The runner will have to wait another day to be finished.

It was a meeting that happened after the IEP (individual education plan).   This meeting was in person at our son's school.  Some things were resolved.  Some bridges I feel have been burnt.  I will not stop being an advocate for our son.  I was very frustrated.  When I got home I opened my scripture and right there was God letting me know that he's got me...

1 Peter 5:10

In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus.  So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

Friday found me refreshed and happy knowing I'm in good hands.  I got a text from the school at 5:30am -- SNOW DAY -- school closing today due to water run off and icy road patches in some areas of the district.  Welcome to the weather of unpredictable Ohio.  FOUR DAY WEEKEND!

It's time to finish this quilt and link up to win PRIZES at Persimon Dreams.

Here's the dull shelf that my husband put behind the couch when our son was little so that I could put a light and things that we needed.


There, now doesn't a little quilt add the shelf some personality?  Ahhh.











3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Perfect for the challenge and perfect for the spot you are using it. I prefer the name being diamonds.

patty a. said...

Cute table topper! I can relate to your frustrations. I am going thru stuff with my doctor and her office with their lack of communication. I finally called the patient advocate office and the lady that called me was very nice and listened! That is more than my doctor does! She comes in the room and starts banging away at the keyboard before she even talks to me! Now my prescription is all messed up again and I am about to run out. The company I worked for changed insurance companies and I had no idea that the meds by mail would have to come from someone else. I have never had this situation before so how would I know? I gave my docs office my new card and they didn't say a word about my prescription. So not getting any notification from the mail order supply place a week before I run out, I called them and they told me they only service the company for my previous insurance. Geeze! Let's just say I ended up having to call my doctor's office three times before I got a solid response to fixing my prescription issue. I cut back just to stretch it out since I still haven't heard that status of my shipment. I think I am going to have to call the insurance company again.

PersimonDreams said...

This is perfect! Love the pattern and the quilting. It covers the shelf perfectly ;)

Sorry you're frustrated with the school - keep fighting for your son!