Monday, August 29, 2022

Monday Making

 Today I'm working on the longarm quilting of my friend's quilt.  



Before I loaded it onto the longarm I had to do some extra prep. work.  First I had to add fabric to the back so that I could attach it to the frame.  I use an old sheet for this.  I'm using old faithful "Dora" the nice machine that I inherited from my mother-in-law.  I always think of her when I use it.  It's a really heavy-duty machine.  I keep it set up and ready to sew in the longarm room.


The backing fabic that my friend gave me is big enough for the back.  BUT it is not long enough for me to complete the design on the design board on the very last row.  This is the reason that I add fabric to the top and bottom of the backing.

Next I needed to make some Frankenbatting.  She gave me enough batting.  But it was in pieces.  I had to sew them together.  Dora and her zigzag stitch to the rescue.


Finally...  I am off and quilting.  I am quilting it with a design board I bought at Urban Elementz.  This design is called Dewdrops in the Garden.  I love it for large bocks and/or negative space.


And if you are asking me if I charge my customer extra for the extra work I have to put into her quilts, the answer it NO.  She is a dear friend.  She is not abusing our friendship.  I have done more than twenty quilts for her.  Here is a photo of her and I at her recent 90th birthday celebration.  (I'm the one on the left in the probably too-bright, yellow shirt.  I had a hairday that looked like I just came from a windstorm!)


I'm linking up at Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making.









3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Special friends don't get charged for the 'extra' work. I often wear a windblown hair style, especially in the summer when it's humid! Happy stitching!

Sue Daurio said...

your lucky to have a special friend like that who shares your love of quilt. I do like the pattern you choose, it's beautiful!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a beautiful friendship. That’s a great new board. Love the design.