Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Olson Mask -- This One Has a GREAT Fit!

This is my favorite mask pattern that I have tested so far.  I got the pattern from the YouTube video from Caroline at She Can Sew..  You can read step-by-step instructions here -- The Olson Mask.  There are even several size options.


I found this piece of Shopkins fabric at Goodwill a while back.  I had no idea where I would use it -- yet here it is!  Yes, I did fussy cut it.  It's totally worth it.  

This pattern is form fitted like a bra.  I like it because it doesn't have pleats.  There's a pocket inside.  There are no raw edges showing.  It uses elastic.  There is nothing to tie.  It fits great!

It fits my mini-me too! He's been asking me for a mask, but I wanted to use my limited Batman fabric on one that was a good fit for him.  Looks like a Batman mask is in order for this week.  We don't really plan on going anywhere, but it would be nice to have a fun one ready for him in the event we do need to go somewhere.  The only thing I needed to do to adjust the mask to fit him was to tie a knot into the elastic to cinch it to his head.  ~~and yes, he is wearing his Christmas t-shirt today...  who cares?




3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Another friend is making that style of mask, too. I haven't tried that one. SEW glad that you found one that works for you!

patty a. said...

The mask looks great! I am behind in readying what you have been up to because my internet has been awful lately. It is much better today. Looks like you have made some great progress getting several projects done and keeping up with others. Good job!

KatieQ said...

The quest to find the perfect mask pattern has been wearing me down. There are so many on the internet and You Tube that it makes it difficult to choose. We live in NY and my daughter lives in the Boston area. I made 6 different types of masks for her in the hopes that one would fit her and not exacerbate the tics due to her Tourette's Syndrome. One fit her well enough not to be too much of a problem. Part of me wonders if it really feels better or if it's because I made it with Pikachu fabric (even though she's 31). I'm glad you have some Batman fabric to use for your son's mask. I loved reading about him reading to the kittens.