Saturday, April 11, 2020

Scrap Happy Saturday -- Blue

This week I made four box kite blocks.  Box Kite is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.


We haven't left our house since 3/23.  It's like a silent contest between my husband and I as of who can stay on the property the longest.  BUT I finally placed a grocery order in which I am going to pick it up next week.  I'm good with frozen and canned goods, but I just haven't been able to find bread or dairy that delivers except for a grocery pick-up thing.  I may as well just go pick it up myself in the parking lot of my regular store vs. having someone deliver it.


We also worked as a family cleaning the brush off of this hill.  Lumberjack #1 on the top of the hill would cut the brush down with his favorite chainsaw.  Lumberjack #2 would pick up the pieces and throw them down the hill.  The laborer (me) would come along to the bottom of the hill with the four-wheeler and the big wagon and haul them to the big pile.



In the top photo way to the right you can see some of the blossoms of my ornamental flowering pair tree.  I planted it when it was just a 12" twig about in 1999.  I told my husband not to mess with it yet.  (Eventually he wants to get rid of this whole hill of topsoil that he his standing on.)  Here is a photo of my ornamental pear tree the following day after a windstorm.


This photo was taken from my sewing chair.  Oh well.  It has broken off before.  I'll have Lumberjack #1 trim the broken section and I'll try to seal it with something and see if the fast-growing tree grows again.

I'm linking up with Angela's blog for the RSC20.

grab button for SoScrappy

11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely blocks in Light/Bright BLUE. Oh, Kathy! Sorry about your tree. :o((

maggie fellow said...

oh sorry about your tree. I am sentimental about trees myself. cute fabrics in your blocks

Sherrie said...

Hi,
We lost a maple tree this past week, the wind was blowing 30 to 40 miles and hour. Love your blocks, so colorful. Have a great day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty blue blocks! You guys have the best family fun - I love the lumberjacks. That's too bad about your tree, though - I hope it can be saved!

Cathy said...

Your box kite blocks are so cheery, Kathy! Sorry to hear about your flowering pear tree, but it will be fine. We have one in the front yard that is blooming like crazy (I’ve got to get a picture). We are thinking of planting another one where our apricot tree in the backyard used to be. Such beautiful trees!

Deb A said...

Pretty box kites. So sorry about the tree.. Lets hope it seals and the rest of the tree is happy.

Susie H said...

Love your Box Kite blocks, so pretty. Too bad about your pear tree. I hear they grow really fast but are not the sturdiest. Oh well, they are truly pretty every spring! Have a good week!

Preeti said...

Lovely blue blocks!!! The grocery store pick-up appointment has been so challenging for us that we have decided to ditch it and just go shop (masks and and sanitizers galore). Excellent teamwork on the brush removal. Stay safe (must) and sane (hopefully).

gayle said...

Love your pretty blue blocks!
But, oh that poor tree...

grammajudyb said...

You are doing great not venturing out since late March. I too use the pick up in the parking lot at our big box store. It’s the fresh produce I miss. Been pretty lucky with their choices, but how do you trust someone else to chose the best avocado? LOL

Cathy said...

Box Kite is a traditional block. I made a small quilt of them a long time ago with instructions from Quilter's Cache. It's a great pick for RSC.

Since all my lumberjacks and helpers grew up and left home except for me and hubby I have learned to be a lumberjack myself. I can't believe how quickly some trees like maples can sprout up and grow around the acreage. With high winds out here in the country trees are always falling...usually on my flower gardens. Darn! Anyway...stay limber in that timber!