Friday, April 10, 2020

A Simple Friday Finish -- My ONE Mask

I finally made a face mask.




Some of my quilty friends (and favorite sister-in-law) know that I am not a huge fan of batiks.  I do put them in scrappy quilts because I LOVE all scraps.  I do use them when a swap-type event happens and they are "required".  But in general I do not run out and purchase batiks.  I do not make whole quilts of them.  Yes, they are soft.  The fabric is usually of great quality.  It's just not my thing.

I did find a GREAT use for the batiks in this mask.  I guess the color "goes with everything."  LOL.  I also had a Ziploc bag of shoestrings just hanging out in the cupboard for a special project.  

I used this YouTube video to make my face mask.  It's the same video that Bonnie Hunter suggested on her blog post at Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!

I did not use the coated floral wire as suggested in the video.  I stitched a piece of elastic on the top side to make it fit better.  The inside looks like this.  I did leave the pouch for the removable filter.  I'm not sure what I will use as a filter--probably a thick washcloth?  I really doubt if I will use a coffee filter...  I also have a lot of batting pieces that could fit in there.  Hmmmm.  Suggestions?  I haven't researched that yet.  If I make another I will use elastic again but stop about 1/2" from each end of the top edge to avoid bulk when I fold the corners to make the casing for the cord.


As of right now we still have not left our property since 3/23/20.  We do have enough room that we can be outside and get plenty of fresh air.  There is plenty of outside work that needs done.  I had one grocery delivery.  All other food deliveries arrive via FedEx from Walmart.com.  The day I was able to order Spaghettios with metballs was like hitting the lottery.  I still have flour, sugar, green beans, corn, Cheerios, and zinc on my wish lists.  

I do have a neighbor coming over to get eggs.  My chickens are laying eggs like crazy.  I have been letting them free-range and the yolks of the eggs are BRIGHT, BRIGHT yellow/orange.  This is when eggs are super awesome and have a lot of flavor.  When the chickens free-range (not inside their 35' x 40' fence, they eat all kinds of things like bugs and plants and worms and "treats" like table scraps that I give them.  I may work out a deal with the neighbor so that she will pick up things like flour and sugar for me while at the store.  We'll see.  I'm not to that point yet.

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your elastic edging is an interesting modification, Kathy. Did that work toward making the mask fit better across the nose area? I struck out with the first pattern I tried!