Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Oops -- Quilitng Injury...

 My husband always says that my rotary cutter is one of the most dangerous quilting tools ever.  I finally had a rotary cutter accident...  After trimming my Pumpkins & the Beanstalk quilt, I started to fold the quilt that was on the big table.  I accidentially knocked my rotary cutter off of the table.  It fell and bounced off my shoe.  I thought no big deal...


It doesn't hurt too bad.  Yes, it left about a .5" cut in the shoe.  Bummer...  these are my newest find in lazy people shoes (in my opinion.). I have been having some knee problems.  I've been wearing supportive footwear to help.  This shoe brand is called Kizik.  The cool thing about them is that though they are tie shoes, the heel part in the back bounces back up and they can be slipped on without bending down to tie (hence why I call them lazy person shoes.). I LOVE them.  This is my second pair that I bought this summer.  I think they are a little pricy.  I bought both of my pairs on eBay (gently used) for under $60.

Another pair of shoes have been ordered.  I have a bandaid on the .5" matching gash on my big toe.  BUT isn't it always a great day to cut with a sharp rotary cutter blade to get a nice, clean cut?  


I've had this cutter for ages.  I bought a set of about 100 rotary blades from it from a lady's husband at our guild.  He got them in a lot at an auction.  I think they are the type of blades used on carpet.  







5 comments:

Ivani said...

Oh my, what a danger!
I am glad to hear you are fine with just a band-aid on your toe, Kathy.
That shoe sure saved you from something more serious.

Gretchen Weaver said...

You are fortunate your foot wasn't seriously cut! The cut shoe wouldn't bother me at all, I'd wear it anyway and share the story with people who ask. Happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Rotary cutters should have a warning printed on them. Of all the ones I have used, I stick to an Olfa that retracts when you let go of the handles. When I was an art teacher, the most lethal tool was the paper cutter which got me good once in the thumb. I had to use the cutter continually and was always nervous with it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

So sorry you had this accident, it is precisely why a rotary cutter should always be closed every time you put it down. Glad it wasn't too serious, and that you were wearing shoes! Most of the time I am barefoot in my sewing room.

Vicki W said...

I'd glue a flower patch over that tear and keep on wearing them! I'm that cheap.
I hope your cut heals quickly.
I remember, years ago, when my niece was little and she was in my sewing room and I was showing her how to use the scissors safely. In walks her idiotic mother telling her to use the rotary cutter because "it's safer".