Friday, May 29, 2020

The OHIO Quilt is a Friday Finish!

I am so in love with this quilt!  Check it out:


Looks like I got it finished just in time before the thunderstorm rolled in.  Look at those clouds.


I moved it to another section of the yard to try to get a better photo...  Look, I even remembered to put a label on it!!!

I longarm quilted it using my Circle Lord giant template board, Baptist Fan.It measures 95" x 104" to fit our California King bed.  I backed it with one fabric (I know--something unusual for me).  This may just be one of my favorite quilts.  I used Warm & Natural 100 percent cotton batting.  I love the weight of this quilt.  It is perfect for summer!  It will be on the bed tonight.

I LOVE the way the Baptist Fan design looks in the neutral background.  I did not have a pattern for this quilt.  I used graph paper to map out the blocks.  Blocks are 2.5" (2" finished) size.  Some of the major cities and cities important to us have the names hand embroidered on them.  This part of the project was in my sew-to-go bag while waiting with me at school, speech, bowling, swimming, the bus stop... It was a fun project.  As we stitch memories into each quilt, I think about the times I sat in a classroom as a substitute teacher.  I think about the students and teachers and remember some of the conversations I had.  I even remember who had to get sent to the principal's office the day I was working on the Marietta block and wonder where they are today with all this craziness.

I'm linking this finish to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Slow Sunday Stitching

I love to quilt.  I am not a photographer.  LOL.  I'm surprised the chickens didn't come over and check it out while it was in the clover area of the yard that they love.  I must have been too fast with flinging the quilt around for a photo and scared them away.


I tried to do one of those "over the limb" shots.  Yep... still not a photographer.


It didn't fit on my makeshift clothesline either.


This was my OMG quilt for May (one main goal)  I'm linking up at Elm Street Quilts finish linky party.



I'm linking up with



Linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?



Linking up at Alycia Quilts for Finished Not Friday

Linking up at From Bolt to Beauty.

19 comments:

grammajudyb said...

So amazing! My state is so boring to do like that! Wyoming is very nearly square!
Yours is just great! Well done!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yippe yay!! You finished the biggie and it is so beautiful and unique! I would never do a New York quilt because although is is geographically gorgeous, it has lot of hostility and nastiness al around. NYC against the rest of the state too much.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to go, Kathy!!! It look FANTASTIC!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! There's an awful lot of piecing in your state quilt, must have taken you ages

karenbbsnow said...

Love this, what a fun idea. Beautiful finish. We are in Ontario Canada and had that same storm yesterday.

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a wonderful quilt, a really neat idea! Enjoy your sleep. Happy stitching!

Darlene said...

What a unique quilt. Glad it is done and you can enjoy it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely spectacular finish! What a great quilt you created!!
And the fan quilting looks wonderful... it's my favourite quilting pattern! Hope you had happy Ohio dreams sleeping under it!

Cathy said...

Congrats on that fabulous finish!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is just wonderful, Kathy! And so amazing that you designed it yourself. It must have been very challenging to keep track of all those little pieces! Congratulations on your finish!

Kim said...

Your Ohio quilt is amazing! I am in love with all those little squares. Actually I love the photo of your pretty hanging from the twig. How wonderful it has travelled with you to so many classes and places whilst you stitched. I would imagine so many lovely memories are within this quilt. Happy dreams sleeping under this beauty.

patty a. said...

Congratulations on getting this done. It turned out fabulous!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out amazing! and glad you got photos before the storm rolled in!

Deb A said...

Wow! An amazing finish and congrats on completing your OMG! (I never even touched mine!) I had to laugh at the 'not a photographer'.... you do much better than me on the photos!

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on finishing your OMG! It is beautiful. We had thunderstorms last night too! Have a great week!

Jill said...

Ohio is a wonderful quilt! Sew many hand stitches. I'm guessing the big red star is Columbus, the state's capitol? The photos taken on a cloudy day came out very well. All the multi-colors look vivid and true vs being washed out. Great job!

Patty said...

Amazing quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Faye said...

A gorgeous quilt. Congratulations on your finish!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow this is amazing. Is it a pattern?