Monday, May 25, 2020

Camera Roll This Week

My little garden is progressing.  I hope to get outside and move more perennials to the chicken yard today.  It's nice to finally see some green there.  They are busy digging bugs and worms from the garden and the divots I have been leaving while I plant.  It's a beautiful, sunny, 82 degree Ohio day!

These are my two favorite photos from this weekend (so far).  My husband's old dirt bike started after only two kicks.  He was so proud.  This thing is still a pretty powerful bike.  He was trying to get our son to ride his go kart up this hill because it was "fun".  I stayed on the ground with the 4-wheeler.


Owen did go up on the dirt hill one time.  He was not a fan.  He likes the paths that I mowed for him in the field with the extra bumps made by my husband's pan.  Owen especially likes spinning out in the driveway gravel.


He did get up the hill one time.  He drifted off the side and didn't want to go back up there.  


Here's one of his favorite spin out spots.  If I'm following him he knows he's out of my sight on the curve and gives it the gas.  ;)



Here's a bunch of the plants that I decided to move.  It doesn't look like much now, but I moved more than 60 plants.  Some are in wired areas so that they can get a better start before the flock starts to nibble at them.  The mustard seeds are coming up under one of the crates.  No squash or pumpkins under the others yet.  For the most part they are leaving the crates alone.


Because they ate the ferns in the above photo quickly, I moved a few into the kennel area coop.  This a coop where I keep young chicks if I have them.  The bottom is reinforced with a finer chicken wire and they can't run through the fence.  I don't have any chicks right now.  I continue to wait for one of my chickens to be broody, but right now nobody really wants to sit on eggs.


My husband had to work on the brakes of the old black dually.  This used to be his race-car pulling truck.  Owen learned the fine art of being the helper for bleeding the brakes.  It used to be my job, but I passed the torch.


Here he is in the cab.  He LOVES this kind of stuff!


Here's Wiggles my rooster.  He's such a gentle/tame rooster.  His spurs are about 4" long. 


Below is a pic of my "organic pest control" system.  There's a one minute-ish video on YouTube here.  My trick is that I run the rototiller between the rows of where things are planted.  They love fresh-tilled areas where shiny bugs and worms are exposed.  They flock to the area and dine.  The ducks are smarter and not afraid of the rototiller.  They are close behind me when I am turning over dirt.  The chickens don't like the noise as much and don't get the freshly turned bugs, but like to scratch for them after the tiller is turned off.






It was in the 80's yesterday.  It was hot.  Today more plant moving and flower bed weeding is in store.  Maybe I'll take a few more progress pictures.  I think I'll plant more seeds later in the week.  I need to do that when the chickens and ducks are still in their coops.  If they see my planting seeds they go behind me and pick them out.  Little stinkers -- some of the seeds are treated and I don't want them to get sick also.

Here's our "hot" selfie...  I have a feeling this is how my hair will be for the rest of the summer. Memorial Day is usually reserved for setting up our above ground pool.  We have really outgrown it.  It comes a little above my waist.  We are going to try to make it last one more season.  It will be a good place to cool off and "lounge" during our STAYCATION this year.  We are still staying at home.


3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of fun going on at your house, Kathy!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, lots of hard work. I guess you are never bored. Thanks for the farm/country show.

patty a. said...

I am behind on my blog reading. I've been busy and the heat just takes the life out of me! I love your organic pest control! That makes me want to have chickens!