Thursday, August 8, 2019

SSSSQ Clue 2 Progress

Today I am working on my SSSSQ--that's the name for the Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt.  It's a quilt along hosted by Kevin the Quilter!  This is a two-color mystery quilt.  So far it has been just squares.  I'm happily pulling scraps from my scrap bins (that are sorted by COLOR!), pressing them, and running them through my Accuquilt square dies. 



Because I know that this will be an amazing scrappy quilt pattern by Kevin, I am stepping out of my comfort zone of color one plus neutral color two into a TWO contrasting color zone.  I used pink for my first clue.  I'm on a ledge and using GREEN for color two.  Normally I would have picked fun neutrals.  I'm just going to go for it!



I am making TWO SSSSQ quilts.  When I use my 2.5" multi die from Accuquilt (cuts nine 2.5" squares -- up to 45 in one pass) it leaves MORE scraps left behind.  Since they are already pressed I crank the rest through my 1.5" Accuquilt square die.


I pressed my odd sized scraps, cut my 2.5" squares, and counted them carefully -- threw in several for good measure.  (I'll use them some day.)  In the process, smaller scraps are made.  I can no longer make 2.5" squares.  But now I can make WAY more 1.5" squares.  I toss them behind me on the sewing machine.  They don't set there too long.  They are already pressed!


Now I run those scraps through the 1.5" multiple square die.  See those tiny pieces off to the edges?  THOSE are the scraps I throw away.  Now I have a whole other set of squares!  Wallah!


I like to watch dvds that I borrow from the library from my desktop computer.  Accuquilt saves time, but it still takes time for the process of all of my odd sized scraps.  During the cutting of the GREENS I watched:

The Best of Enemies -- based on a true story -- great movie
Draft Day -- great movie
Little -- cute movie
Boy the time flied.  Cutting with Accuquilt is than me cutting scraps with a rotary cutter.  It still takes time.  I would still have to press the scraps.  I still would have to organize them (count them to piles of 10s and then 100s.)  But I definitely prefer Accuquilt!  I'm very thankful I one my first one plus my first three dies.  Then I purchased dies one by one as bday gifts, Christmas...  Totally worth the investment in my opinion.

In other news...
Woohoo!  My new keyboard for my desktop computer arrived.  I can now type the letter "a" and capital letters using the shift key on that side!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa aaaaaaa  Wow, it's a pain when modern technology gives me a run for my money.  I have been cutting and pasting the letter a -- or misspelling words so that I could go back and use spell correct to get the right word there.  Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray for a new keyboard AND stacks of processed scraps!!!