Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Summer Solstice is on the Frame

I am working on my OMG (one main goal) quilt this week.  For the month of January I am trying to finish this red and white quilt.  It is a pattern by Pat Sloan.  It was a quilt along led by Pat Sloan's called I Love to Make Quilts Sampler, Summer Solstice Challenge (Red & White finished top 2017).

 
I was excited to see that the color of the month for the RSC19 was red as well.  What motivation!
 
I used up a bunch of my red stash to make a pieced back.  Interesting how the colors landed.  You can see some of the Ohio sun shining on the left side of the quilt.  Woohoo for sunshine.  It was in the mid 20's most of the day.
 
 
I'm quilting it with my new (to me) Circle Lord Template -- clam shells.  I really like how it looks on the 2.5" squares (2" finished).  I'm getting a little extra thread on the back at each point.  I'll have to figure it out.  I had that problem with Square Dance as well.  In time I got faster and the extra thread problem took care of itself.  Let's hope that happens on this quilting design as well.
 

This is what the quilt top looked like when I finished it in 2017.  What a bright, sunny day...

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is so lovely. I had used random fabrics in mine Summer Solstice. I didn't like mine at all. I think you very much had the best idea. Happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the red and white. A lot of work went into this quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gorgeous RED quilt!! LOVE the quilting, too. I have yet to find a quilt that my clam shell board will work on. Apparently, I need to dig out a Sampler quilt because that is looking GREAT!!