Sunday, March 29, 2020

Linen & Threads SAL -- Slow Sunday Stitching 3.29.20

Just in time for the next clue I finished stitching the Linen & Threads SAL clue for March.


I also had time to arrange one of the Goodwill projects I found.  Although it has a $1 sticker on it, the kit was only $1.49/pound.  I have no idea how much it weighs, but I'm sure it's only an ounce or two.  This is the first kit I purchased that had the embroidery floss organizer included.  Neat, huh?


My outdoor plan for now is to work in my flowerbeds.  This is what it looked like in August, 2019, when everything is grown up with all the leaves out.



I made it outside yesterday to work in my big flowerbed of perennials between the rain storms.  When I went out in the morning there was lots rain, thunder, lightening and some non-damaging hail.  Then it got pretty warm (mid 60's).  When I started the flowerbed looked like this:


Here's a close-up shot of my flowerbed.  There's a lot of briers in there!  The bushes are overgrown.


Here's my view down to the garden/chicken area.  I can still watch for predators and keep an eye on the chickens from here as I take my 4-wheeler and wagon full of stuff to dump.


The helper kept going back and forth between what I was doing and what Dad was doing.


Every year I trim these shrubs waaaaaay back (except for the rhododendron).  You can see that I got about one third of the bed cleaned out.  Don't worry about those buckets...  I'll get them next time.

Meanwhile my Sweetie set up a make-shift curtain and some cardboard so that Owen didn't get welder's flash.  (Welder's flash is harmful to eyes and causes damage and a burning sensation if you stare at the welding area without protective lenses or a welding helmet.)  It was raining pretty good when I stopped cleaning the flowerbed.  I was done for the day.  My husband asked me if I wanted to "burn some sticks".  This is a stick welding reference.  You probably don't know this, but I am a certified welder.  Back in my day I was the welding supervisor for Volvo GM Heavy Truck Corporation in Orrville, Ohio.  It was an awesome, awesome company!  They moved to Virginia.  I did not.  I'm thankful I stayed here.


I'm linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Slow Sunday Stitching


7 comments:

Kim said...

I did not know you were a welder. You are a lady of many talents. Your blue cross stitch is so pretty and what a good buy the little kitten stitchery is. Good luck with the gardening. It looks as if you are working wonders there.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm enjoying spending more time outside too. Your cross stitching looks great!

Sarah said...

Your cross stitc is looking good. I'm looking forward to April! It is nice to get outside and you certainly have a lot of land to keep you busy!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your SAL looks so awesome. What a great talent you have! My husband welds to repair things something he learned on the farm growing up and he always wants to teach me. I told him I would if he would give quilting a go! I spent some time outside this week to and really should add some picks of my flower bed, things are starting to bloom here.

Karrin Hurd said...

Your SAL is lovely. I am always amazed by your thrift shop finds! I have a mess in my garden right now, when it stops drizzling I need to mow the back and start working on my flower beds. I had a dandelion about 3 feet tall, which I did get out, but now it looks like it is coming back! Happy stitching!

Deb A said...

A welder! I love learning little bits about people in their blogs. You got a lot done in your flower bed.. my back is just aching thinking of all that work. Glad the boy is enjoying time with both of you. Your stitching is coming along great and love the next one! We all need to 'hang in there'!

patty a. said...

Your flower bed is looking good! You have some wonderful big rocks bordering it too! I just love rocks. That is so interesting and very cool that you are a welder.