Here's my first finish for 2015. It's a happy little 27" square table topper. This was one of my RSC14 projects, playing with 1.5" strips of browns and greys. The pattern can be found in the book Fast, Fun, and Fabulous Quilts, by Connie Tesene and Mary Tendall of Country Threads. I quilted it with Circle Lord Cosmos.
I'm super excited that my little longarm business that I started up last year is starting to gain business. I have five quilts for customers and one quilt for the local quilt guild to complete! :)
I started a new project (surprise, surprise). Pat Sloan is having a Hip to be Square Challenge. I am hoping this top is completely finished by 2/6/15! This only took me two evenings while watching tv. The 2" squares are already cut. I have a huge cheese ball jar of them. I just needed to cut the solids.
I made progress on Scrap Crystals. This quilt pattern is by Bonnie Hunter and can be found in her book More Adventures with Leaders and Enders. The block was also featured in her Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker Magazine and in 100 Blocks Volume 8. Here's 100 of the HST:
I had to make a sample star...
Of course I had to see how the whole block with the sashing would look...
I finished the border and back for my Quilt Doodle Designs 2014 BOM quilt. It's pretty cute. I'm not going to show it to you now, but you can check it out on 1/26 when it's my time for the blog hop. Check out the schedule and see all the cute quilts.
I set my four Q1 goals for the Finish Along at On the Windy Side.
While cleaning the sewing room and the upstairs storage room, I found the following WIPS that need to be added to my list:
1. Wanderlust (A Bonnie Hunter pattern -- only 2 blocks done.)
2. Flowers and Water can (wall hanging)
3. Little Houses
4. Split Stars (Block Lotto win)
5. Spools (Leader & Ender project with Bonnie Hunter)
6. New York Beauty
7. Fortune Teller (RSC14 started -- need blocks each month)
8. Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- need blocks each month)
9. Longarm quilting on Local Quilt Guild's Spring Tea 2015 quilt
10. Pat Sloan 2015 BOM -- Vacation Time
11. Pat Sloan Jan/Feb 2015 Hip to be Square Challenge
I also took the time to finally organize all of the patterns, pictures, tutorials, and such that were sitting on my shelf. I have been printing and copying these pages since 2011. This is before:
...and after! Whew! It looks like the binders are taking up more space, but they aren't. I think I can locate a specific pattern within 10 minutes now! Whew, what a relief. This was well worth the three hours it took to organize them. :)
Here's a QA I'll keep my eye on and try to caving in to starting another project:
Here's the first block for Pat Sloan's 2015 BOM -- Vacation Time. This block is called, "Down by the Boardwalk".
This is the little sew along I'm doing called Urban Churn Dash -- A Simple Sew Along at Piece N Quilt. I am doing a smaller (crib sized quilt) with the blocks scaled down using Accuquilt dies.
I took on the challenge to longarm a vintage China Dish quilt from 1933 for my local quilt guild. Here's the ladies of the guild piecing the blocks together. It was purchased at an auction.
I know there's more WIPS around here. I'll add them to the list as I find them.
In chicken news, I now have two chickens that are molting. It's ZERO degrees today! Since these two chickens don't have names, it was easy to finally name them. My chickens are named after Disney princesses. Because it's FROZEN today, I named them Elsa and Anna. Here's a pic of Anna in the middle (she has the redish feathers). Elsa is one of my blonde Buff Orpingtons that is molting!
New Projects This Week
Pieces Still Need to be Cut & Sewn
1. Underpants Project
2. Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
3. Rock Island Campfire Quilt
4. Picadilly Circle
5. ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
6. MSBHQAL (Molli Sparkles Broken Herringbone Quilt Along)
7. Spring Sampler Series at Cora's Quilts8. Gypsy Wife QA (recycling Red/White Flower Basket Quilt into this project & duds.)
9. Leah Day Building Blocks QA
10. Love Laugh Quilt Christmas Improv QA
11. Classic Meets Modern BOM
12. Mod Mod QA (turning this one into a baby quilt)
13. Super Mario QA
14. Grand Illusion -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2014
15, Sew Sweet Simplicity BOM (made from shirt scraps)
16. Kite Girl (RSC14) Need one more red block and sashing made
17. Modern Trees QA (at Christ's Quilts)
18. Cabins at the Lake (from Fons & Porter Magazine) (only one house block complete.
19. Wanderlust (A Bonnie Hunter pattern -- only 2 blocks done.)
20. Flowers and Watercan (wall hanging)
21. Little Houses
22. Split Stars (Block Lotto win)
23. Spools (Leader & Ender project with Bonnie Hunter)
24. Fortune Teller (RSC14 started -- need blocks each month)
25. Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- need blocks each month)
26. Pat Sloan 2015 BOM -- Vacation Time
27. Pat Sloan Jan/Feb 2015 Hip to be Square Challenge
Blocks Still Need to be Made
1. NY Beauty
2. Orca Bay
3. We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
4. Sweet Simplicity BOM5. Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt
6. Color coordinated hexagon quilt
7. Gourmet Quilter Sampler
8. Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
9. Amanda Murphy Designs (ugly fabric quilt)
10. Drunkard's Path Variation baby quilt
11. Scrap Crystals (working on blue pieces for RSC15)
12. RSC15 Sawtooth Star Sampler
Blocks are made but need to be sewn together (and/or some sashing)
1. Block Swap Adventure Orange/Yellow Sampler (2011-2012)
2. Block Lotto Dud (Orphan Block Quilt)
3. Orange/Blue Fish Blocks (that I won)
4. Split Stars (blocks won from Block Lotto; October, 2012)
5. African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
6. Tall Fly
7. Scrumptious Butter Churn All blocks are made!!!
8. Sonja's Windows string quilt
10. December 2014 Block Lotto Big O blocks that I won 12.31.14!
12. Block Swap Adventure (2013) Churn Dash Blocks
Quilts back needs to be made (tops are done)1. Celtic Solstice (Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2013)
2. Surround Stars Pillow (one big block is here somewhere. It will be a pillow when I find it.)
Ready to longarm
1. Little Letters QA Quilt (A RSC14 project)
2. Customer Quilt #1 -- Churn Dashes
3. Customer Quilt #2 -- Scrap Squares
4. Customer Quilt #3 -- Bonnie Hunter Stars pattern
5. Customer Quilt #4 -- Browns and Golds
6. Customer Quilt #5 -- Scrappy Fun
7. Local Quilt Guild 2015 Spring Tea quilt (longarm)
8. Quilt Doodle Designs BOM, 2014
Quilted, needs binding1.
Completed this week:
1. Plaid Patches Table Topper (A RSC14 project)
50 -- Current WIPS
01 -- Finishes for 2015