Saturday, April 17, 2021

Welcome to the Flock(s)

Welcome to the flock.  Oh I love the fun dot fabrics in this quilt.  These are the turkeys in my Gobble Gobble quilt.  The pattern is by Bee in my Bonnet (Lori Holt).  You can see it here.  I put my Turkey blocks together this week after making the feet during February (the yellow month.)

I purchased this pattern years ago when I had a gift card to spend at the Fat Quarter Shop.  I loved the scrappy opportunities it presented.  In February, 2021, I played with the yellow scraps for the RSC and cut and sewed all the legs (drumsticks).  I also cut the beaks and set them aside.

I knew I was going to work on it during a 2021 blue month.  The words will most likely be orange and green.

All of the turkeys have dots, circles or swirls.  I got a lot of these fabrics during a charm swap years ago.  I haven't done many charm swaps.  I just don't like the idea of mailing so much stuff these days.  Aren't they fun?

I've been staying off my feet this week because I broke my little toe about two weeks ago.  Then I tried to wear a pair of slip-on shoes that I got at Goodwill that didn't touch my toe.  Then I got blisters the size of a quarter on each arch because of the slip-on shoes.  Then the blistered popped.  I didn't want to be unproductive so I stayed in the house and didn't wear shoes.  I mopped the floor with Pine-sol.  By that night the blisters were infected because Pine-sol leaked in them.  I squeezed out all the bad liquid and took a Vicodin.  At that point I pulled on my broken toe.  I think it is now back in place because it doesn't hurt as bad.  I put on a pair of rubber boots and fed the chickens.  I slipped in the mud and twisted my knee... My husband just looks at me and shakes his head...  I'm feeling much better today and can now bend almost everything and put on shoes.  BUT it did give me a lot of extra time to work on putting my Scrap Crystals (Bonnie Hunter design) quilt top together!  There is always a silver lining in every story.

I love the way the blues and greens play together.  I ran out of the dark blue for the border.  See that light blue 1.5" strip at the top right?  That is now my front-of-the-quilt label.  I machine embroidered the label AND included a finish date of May 21, 2021.  I guess this will be my OMG to finish in May.  The next step is to make a pieced back.  I believe I have some blue orphan blocks that will be used here.  Stay tuned.

I used this blue fabric from my stash to move forward another quilt.  This one is called Owl's Well That Ends Well.  I re-sized the blocks and made them smaller to make the pattern more compatible with my Accuquilt dies.  The original pattern is by Judy Gauthier in her book, Quilts for Scrap Lovers.  I also changed positions of some of the wings to mix it up.  I worked on these owl blocks while playing along with scraps with the RSC.  The next step will be to make a pieced, blue backing for it.


It was another productive RSC week! I'm linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for the RSC21.  The party starts here.


10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The chickens sure are a fun bunch. Sorry for so much incidental pain with the feet. Make sure you protect them- like even wearing Crocs. I had plantar fascitis for years and finally got it under control and I can't tell you how much better things are.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Scrap Crystals is so lovely, the owl quilt is really cute! Be careful this week and stay safe. Thankfully the ice is gone until next winter! Happy stitching!

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, your foot drama! How miserable! Those chickens and owls are very cheery.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your turkeys with their blue backgrounds! They are fun! You did have a productive week, in spite of your foot troubles. Hope it feels better this week!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

The scrappy turkeys are awesome! And I love what you've done with the owls. Are there more bird quilts coming? The colors in scrap crystals are perfectly peaceful. I'm impressed with all you got done even with escalating disasters. Take care this week, and feel better!

Ivani said...

Turkeys and owls are fun blocks.
Hope you feels better soon. Take care, Kathy.

Jenny said...

Oh dear, haven't you been having a bad time. Hasn't stopped you stitching though, luckily. What fun turkeys you are stitching.

The Joyful Quilter said...

With all of that, I'm hoping you steered clear of the rotary cutter this week!! SEW glad to hear that you are on the mend. LOVE your BLUE projects, Kathy!

patty a. said...

Oh my goodness I hope you are on the mend. What a series of mishaps! It didn't seem to slow you down in the sewing department though! Those turkey blocks as so cute!

Needled Mom said...

Oh gosh! Things do not sound good there. I love the birds and your Bonnie Crystals.