Sunday, December 20, 2020

Catching Up Posts -- Photo Heavy...

 It's been a while since I've posted.  We've been busy.  The internet connections have been slow.  But here we are... I can't believe December is almost done!

The last time I posted about my Garden Party quilt it was finally on the frame and going a little crooked.  I ripped some out and readjusted the way it was loaded.  I'm happy to say it is about half way quilted now and going pretty straight!


In a previous post I mentioned giving some quilts to the neighbor as gifts for her grandkids:


We had a special visit from Santa (one of the parents that got two of the quilts above) that made a special visit to our house.  He may have been the BEST Santa I have ever seen.  He was soooo good and understanding of Owen.  Since he follows Owen on Instagram (@Snider9505) he knows the elves names and such.  It was so personalized and fun.


He brought Owen an art kit.  Owen loves it!


The remote learning continues.  There is no school for two weeks.  A very cool thing happened that kinda gives me a break.  I found a grant to help Owen have online tutors.  I still have to be in the background.  I use this time to piece quilt blocks.  YEAH!  I have received 45 ONE HOUR sessions with two different tutors!  I have found two amazing guys to be Owen's tutors.  Both of them are FLUENT in understanding students with Down syndrome.  The good lord sent them our way!


My husband worked a lot out of town last week.  Facetime is awesome for us!  Isn't he cute?


Last week we had some supper sunny days!  (12/10 and 12/11)  It got up to 60 degrees.  We decided to go magnet fishing.  Owen was soooooo bummed out when we realized that all of the docks where we usually go had been removed from the water for winter.  Bummer.   I decided to take him to a different spot on the same lake.  The water was really down because this is at a dam.


It was so nice to be able to take a break from everything and be outside in the sun!


We were there until it was almost dark.


In a little less than two hours we found a whole peanut jar full of lures, hooks and weights!  We didn't even have to throw out our magnets.  We just walked along the shore.



The next day it was warm again.  This time we took his metal detector.  What a blast.  He found TWO Mcdonald's cups full of lures this time.  (Sorry, no photo.  He hasn't cleaned them yet.  That will be a nice cold-weather garage project for him.)  

The rocks in this photo are usually covered with water when we are there in the warmer months.  They must have just let the water out.  I have marked this time on my calendar for 2021.  It was fun to find a piece of broken fishing line and follow it to a treasure!  We only had to wear a sweatshirt!


One of the cool things we brought home were these three clams.  We put them in our fish tank.  You can see the one clam (with the white "foot" hanging out).  This is how clams move.  Seriously, we think it is super cool!  The next day I got them more rocks at the pet store.  It's fun to look for them going up and down through the rocks--very slowly.


Since then it snowed.  Everything has been white.  We got that wet, heavy snow.  It's so pretty on all of the trees.     This is the view from my chicken yard.


During snowy days we took time to bowl.  Our Saturday morning league seems to be too crowded for my comfort level.  Although we miss our friends, I rather be safe.  When he pre-bowls a league game, they have to give him an empty lane on both sides of him (that's one of the sanctioned rules.)  We go at a time when it is not busy and it's easy to accommodate.  This totally works!


Our elves have been busy.  One day they packed Owen's lunch.  All his stuff was wrapped as a gift.  He loved it!


One day they spent time on the "beach".  Blue left all the frogs out of the jar.  


Unfortunately baby Oliver was too cute and got "touched" while he was on the beach.  He lost his magic power for days.  Here he is in elf hospital with his peppermint drip hanging from a Christmas tree.  He got a get well card and his temperature was monitored regularly.


Meanwhile, Chippy does the "floss".


Owen did NOT like this one.  Spiderman was being a bully and holding Blue over the old toilet in the old bathroom.


Because I made progress on my Garden Party quilt this week, I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC20.  

















6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Garden party is an awesome quilt, I can't wait to see it when the quilting is finished. You and Owen had some fun times last week, I wondered what magnet fishing was. Specialized online tutors, great! And you get to piece quilts, happy stitching!

patty a. said...

I am so glad the Garden Party quilt is going better. What lake were you at magnet fishing? It is cool Owen found so many things. I the elf adventures are so funny. Spiderman holding the elf over the toilet made me laugh! That is wonderful to have help with tutors. I can imagine it takes some of the pressure off of you and the interaction with others had got to be good for Owen. I wish you and your family a happy, safe, and blessed holiday season!

Twyla said...

YOU are a special mom. How kind you are to do so many things with and for Owen. Your home picture is wonderful. Merry
Christmas and best wishes for a very good 2021.

maggie fellow said...

I've never heard of magnet fishing - garden party looks great

Needled Mom said...

Congratulations on the grant. It sounds really awesome for Owen. We have so enjoyed following the elf antics, as we do each year....such great imagination! I have always wondered what the area under the water where we fish would look like. What a blast it would be to actually see it. It looks like a goldmine was found. Have a wonderful Christmas.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Here's hoping you get the quilting done on Garden Party before having to "close up shop" for the winter!! You and Owen certainly have some wonderful adventures, Kathy. Congrats on the tutor grant!