Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day -- A Vintage Machine for Me

Well, it's Mother's Day.  It's often an emotional day for me.  I am a mom to a life-loving, happy almost-eight-year-old boy.  He is the center of attention in our family.  His name is Owen.  He just happens to have Down Syndrome.  He is amazing.

Here he is "buying" lunch for us at a cub scout pinewood derby.  He's so proud of the things that he does -- as are we!

 
My mom (1932 - 2012) was a great mom.  Happy Mother's Day to her.  I had one of her old sewing machines in its box for quite a while in the basement.  She called it The DressMaker.  I'm not sure why.  My mom was the 4H sewing advisor back in the day (before I learned how to sew.)
 
She had perfect seams.  She mostly made clothes (back when smocks and stretch pants were popular for me, her chubby daughter.)  I wore a lot of smocks...


 

By the model, I'm thinking this machine is from 1963-65.  I'll probably just remember 1965... that's the year I was born.  If you have more info on that, please let me know.  I used this chart.
 
It's in great condition.  The belt looks like new.  There's a piece of tape on the power cord.  I'm thinking it is cracked, but I did not investigate further.

 
Here's the piece of knit fabric that she used to wrap the foot pedal.  She made me a blazer out of it to match my stretch pants.  I wore this blazer when I was in horse shows.  It was sewn beautifully.


Happy Mother's Day.

4 comments:

Julianne said...

Beautiful machine! Love that silver color, awesome! Happy Mothers Day girlfriend, I love you!

barbara woods said...

looks like a great machine

Kate in CT said...

What a trip down memory lane for me. I bought my first sewing machine in 1963 and this is the machine. It is so heavy that I replaced it and gave it to my son to sew patches onto his jacket. He loaned it to his friend who made naugahide seat covers for his boat. This machine is still going strong and will probably last forever.

Michele said...

Oh I know you will enjoy the memories as you create new treasures with it.