Tuesday, May 12, 2020

On The Frame and Some Sorting

On Mother's Day my husband helped me put my "new to me" table in the quilt room.  It is a table that had the word "FREE" on it in front of a lawyer's office in a neighboring town.  I just happened to be driving by at the right time.  It was super heavy, but I was determined to load it into my pick-up truck one way or another.  The legs were not on it.  I dragged the super heavy table top down the sidewalk and to the alley where my truck was parked.  Of course I did not ask anyone for help.  I was determined to use science and leverage and pivot points to get it into my truck.  LUCKILY a good samaratin and his wife pulled up behind me and the guy said it looked like I needed some help so he stopped to help me load it.  Awesome!  I strapped it down and drove away.  It's mine!


The table sat in the foyer of the house for months.  Finally on mother's day I had Helper 1 (above) help me sort things so that I could move the old table.  Helper 2 (below) arrived and set up the table.  You can even see that more shelves have been moved to the back of the room where the treadmill held the Circle Lord giant template boards.  I could now use my treadmill if I wanted.  Hmmm.



I had time to load the customer quilt that I got on 5/4 onto the frame.  I couldn't decide how to quilt it.  I had my son pick out how he wanted me to quilt the Ohio quilt.  I set up Baptist Fan on the customer quilt to see how it would look and it was a winner.  I even had time to quilt a little.  The rest of the clutter will have to wait a little longer.  Even though we had snow on the ground my husband turned on the furnace and heated the longarm room so that I could quilt on Mother's day.  I'm a tight wad and don't like to burn fuel oil in the large area.  Sunny days are coming, right?


I don't quilt with the Baptist Fan template very often because it seems to give me problems lining things up so that the fans stay straight.  This time I noticed a small line-up dot.  Hmmm.  Have I been using this template incorrectly all along?  Yep!  I had always tried lining it up from the top of the fan to the next row of fan tops.  Well, this time I turned the template around and used the dot.  PERFECT!  It didn't matter on this quilt because it is not directional.  It will on the Ohio quilt because it is directional.  Yeah!  I learned something very important today.

3 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

How about that? I have a Nolting. I am so happy for you that you got the table set up and stuff moved around. It will make things so much easier for you. Maybe if you keep doing quilts, it will pay for the heating oil. Right now, the prices are so low for petroleum products. It is good to get help to get us moving along.

patty a. said...

That's a great table and was expensive when it was bought! I use to estimate the cost of furniture when I was estimating school projects and that table would have cost at least $2000 if you would buy it today! When the company I work for was managing the demo of the local high school after the new one had been built, I would wander around the building as I was the superintend by default on the job. The building was huge! There was a lot of stuff that had to be removed before the building come down like lockers and boilers. There were two library tables that had been left behind - 29 1/2" x 72". They were just going to be thrown away so my brother came over and help me haul them home. They are still stacked in the garage. They have been there for now 4 or 5 years! I wanted to refinish at least one of them. Maybe this will be the summer that I get that done. The tables were just too nice to have them destroyed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your "new" table, Kathy! I'd love to hear how that dot is supposed to work. Wondering if my template has been loaded upside down, as well...