Thursday, May 7, 2020

WIP Wednesday on a Blursday

Here's some of the stuff that happened this week...

I finished all the HST for step 6 of the Unity QA with Bonnie Hunter.  I did not keep them in sets of ten.  The whole quilt is mixed up.  I didn't think that unified blocks at this time would be a good choice.  I only had a dozen light colored triangle halves left in my bin after sewing this clue.  I would have just cut more.  That leaves a lot of new variety to cut if this quilt needs more of this size triangle.

 I started out with my "dark neutral" bin and my "light neutral" bin.


There they are... all pressed and ready for the next clue on Monday on Bonnie Hunter's blog.


Here's what my Unity QA quilt looks like right now:


I set my OMG (one main goal) for May to finish my Ohio quilt.  The back is made.  It needs quilted.



I still need to make a back for my Block Lotto win quilt -- Wings of Spring.  These orphan blocks are all stacked on a pile by my sewing machine.



Wings of Spring is a super cute quilt!


I made several more masks this week.  I feel holiday themed masks coming up next.  I think some stars and strips and flags and watermelons will get us through Memorial Day, 4th of July, and summer...


I cleaned off my desk using the 1.5" Accuquilt square die.  This is one of my favorite sizes to play with.  


I longarmed a quilt for a customer.  I did a porch drop off.  She had another one waiting for me in a bag on the porch.  I didn't open it yet.  I'll get to that hopefully this weekend.  Here's the one I finished for her:



My HELPER loved sorting scraps.  It was a much needed project.  We found these colored bins in someone's trash last fall.  They came with a shelf.  He thought they would be a great way to sort scraps.  He has a few more bags on the table and then I'll be able to get the colors sorted into tubs and then onto the shelves in the other room.  My helper wants me to free up his 6' trampoline (that is behind him holding tubs of fabric scraps).  I have a feeling he is much taller now and won't be able to jump as much.  We will soon have room to make our "home gym" with all of the equipment we have collected.  It's kinda funny that the treadmill is a great place to store my Circle Lord giant template boards.  You can see the black rectangle panel of the treadmill in the back left corner if you squint really hard.


I see my helper has also been making a bin for "other".  If he finds things like red, cream, and yellow yarn I'll have to make the cute chicken pot holder that I found the pattern here.  I don't crochet yet, but below is the photo I found at Amy's Creative Creations.  This would look cute in my kitchen!


The "big helper" continued to work on revamping his saw mill.  He reminds me of the character  Yukon Cornelius in Rudolph in this photo...

12 Reasons Yukon Cornelius Is The Most Badass Christmas Character ...


We continued to ride the go kart.  We even expanded the riding area because he's got the idea of not keeping his foot on the brake all the time and has shown great listening to the rules and safety practices!  This is not only fun, but a great learning experience for all of us.


Yesterday the go kart just stopped...


The motor blew up.  The rod is broken...  My husband has been wanting to put an electric start motor on it for a while now.  We'll see what we have to come up with next.  I'm sure there's something in that building that will make it run.

Update-- a motor from my husband's grandpa's apple sprayer has been found and is running.  It needs to be mounted to the go kart.

The hummingbirds are back for the summer!  Yesterday I had a large one with a red breast.  This morning I had these two small green ones.  This window is right outside of my sewing area.  I get to enjoy them a lot.  They seem to feed in the morning around 8am and then 6pm.  I know they probably eat all day long, but those are the times I can capture them with my camera.  You can see a feeder hanging in the lilac bush in this photo as well.  That's a new place for a feeder because the trees where I put the feeders behind the house last year have been torn down.  We shall see...  I think they will find them.


I currently have 67 on-going projects.    One dropped off this week (the customer quilt), but she gave me another quilt to longarm so the list stays the same.

Pieces Still Need to be Cut & Sewn
1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern from Mama Spark's World 
2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
3.  Rock Island Campfire Quilt
4.  Picadilly Circle
5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
6.  Go Four It! -- Scrappy 4-patches started as leader/ender June 2017
7.  Patriotic Folk Animals (from Americana Quilts Book) -- hand work-- found the book 8/8/19!
8.  Parallelogram Strings -- 2019 String Along at Humble Quilts, started 1.31.19
9.   Leah Day Building Blocks QA
10.  Jelly Roll Rug
11.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
12.  Mod Mod QA (turning this one into a baby quilt) (from block Lotto, mostly circles w/lines)
13.  Owl's Well That Ends Well (RSC19 project started 1.26.19)
14.  Kevin the Quilter's Sapphire Stars Mystery (started Summer 2017) 
15.  Temperature QA (2019 block-a-day according to high and low temps--changed to table topper.)
16.  Kite Girl (RSC14)
17.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
18.  Cabins at the Lake (from Fons & Porter Magazine) (only one house block complete.)
19.   2.5" Scraps from Dani making "cracker" blocks
20.  Sand Castles -- Bonnie Hunter string quilt started January, 2019 -- an RSC project
21.  Little Houses (3.5" blocks)
22.  Pumpkins & the Beanstalk (a second quilt.)
23.  Set of note cards and envelopes
24.  Simply Summer Sensational QA with Kevin the Quilter 2.5" blocks (started 6.27.19)
25.  Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- need blocks each month)
26.  Bonnie Hunter Box Kite class from March, 2017 (Will make baby quilt.)
27.  Kevin the Quilter 2019 Mystery Quilt -- SSSSQ, 1.5" squares
28.  2015 Orange, pink, grey kite blocks (from Accuquilt die, RSC17)
29.  Maroon Sampler Quilt
30.  Gypsy Wife QA (started again with Angie at Gnome Angel, August 2017) (2019 QA)
31.  Kathleen Tracy’s 2019 Mystery Quilt -- Facebook QA started in March, 2019. 
32.  2016 Plus Blocks (from left over pieces of Soul Searching blocks)
33.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
34.  Waffle Blocks (August 2019) RSC19
35.  Kevin the Quilter 2019 Mystery Quilt -- SSSSQ, 2.5 " squares
36.  Gingerbread Men pattern by Edyta Sitar started November, 2019
37.  Linen & Threads Mystery SAL, Started 1/1/20 for my sew-to-go bag.
38.  Dresser Scarf (my grandma's printed WIP from the 70's) 1/1/20 for my sew-to-go bag.
39.  Veggie Patch (from Katie Mae Quilts)
40.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter,  (started 4/1/2020.)


Blocks Still Need to be Made
1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
2.  Scrap Crystals (working on blue pieces for RSC15)
3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
4.  Drunkard's Path Variation baby quilt
5.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt (my seams don't match Julianne's seams...)

Blocks are made but need to be sewn together (and/or some sashing)
1.  Block Swap Adventure Orange/Yellow Sampler (2011-2012)
2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
3.  Orange/Blue Fish Blocks (that I won)
4.  Split Stars (blocks won from Block Lotto; October, 2012)
5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto, February, 2013)
7.  Fortune Teller (RSC14 started)--It's not long enough...needs 4 more blocks
8.  Sonja's Windows string quilt 
9.   Block Swap Adventure (2013) Churn Dash Blocks 
10.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks (New QA starting 5/7/17 Gnome Angel)
11.  Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18
12.  Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May, 2018 sew-to-go bag)
13.  Bonnie Hunter Garden Party (started 3.18.17.)
14.   Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN.  It's the Dot Dot Dash Bag. (new to the list April, 2018)

Quilts back needs to be made (tops are done) 
1. Card Trick (pink and blue) HUGE charity quilt for local quilt guild
2. Hunter green large (bubbly -- will be a challenge to longarm) charity quilt for the local guild
3. Bubble Gum pink and navy charity quilt for local quilt guild
4. Good Fortune -- A Bonnie Hunter Quiltville Mystery started Thanksgiving weekend, 2018
5.  Soul Searching -- Julianne sent it to me 8/29/19!!!

6.  Wings of Spring -- Block Lotto win 3.31.19

Ready to longarm
1.  O - H - I - O quilt 2.5" blocks
2.  Customer Quilt (CM) -- I haven't taken it out of the bag from 5/4/20 yet.

I'm linking up with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers.

Quiltfabrication

2 comments:

Susan said...

Unity is a beautiful quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE your unity quilt, Kathy!!! Looks like O is doing a nice job on the fabric sorting and I spy the telltale yellow and green plastic down where the treads of the treadmill would be. Hmm... we have a treadmill that doesn't get used 99% of the time!! LOL