Thursday, May 14, 2020

2020 Garden -- Thus Far

I spent yesterday and this morning working in the yard and garden.  It felt so good to get out and get some sun.  I planted more seeds this morning because RAIN is on the way.  I'm feeling all of my being 54 today for sure.  This post is a little picture heavy.  But my 54 year old brain needs to remember what is where.  With modern technology I can just pull my phone out of my pocket, look at my blog post, and know where I need to be careful when rototilling and weeding.

Gold Rush Squash -- I bought this packet of seeds at my favorite Amish greenhouse in Mt. Eaton, Ohio about three years ago.  There were at least 30 seeds in the pack.  I don't know why I got that many back then.


Next is a hill of regular zucchini.  I got this seed packet in Amish country three years ago.



Next in this row are space master cucumbers.  I think I got these seeds last season.  I ordered seeds in March on eBay when we couldn't go to stores.  They still aren't here.  Grrr.  Must be on the slow boat.



These are gorgeous purple bean plants from one of my quilt customers.  When dropping off a quilt last summer I was admiring the purple plant.  She gave me a whole envelope of seeds.  It's something pretty--not to eat.  Look, I'm starting to color code the pics so I can see them when I'm on my phone in the garden.  LOL.


This package was labeled summer squash.  Looked like zucchini to me.  I have no idea how old or where these seeds came from.




This row is watermelon seeds that I got yesterday during the lunch distribution at the high school where I sub.  I don't typically plant watermelon, but I didn't want the seeds to go to waste.  My SIL and BFF and I are the only ones that like watermelon.  I haven't had much success with it in the past because I guess groundhogs like melons right before it's time to pick them.  Ducks LOVE watermelon!  We haven't been going to get the free lunches until now.  Owen loved it.




Spaghetti Squash seeds from who knows when and where...  Glad I'm doing this blog post.  I only planted these seeds at 7 this morning and I already forgot what was there!




Jack-o-lanterns -- 2 hills -- Seed packets were from 1994.  I'm not sure how this will go with the seeds being so old.  If they don't come up I will plant something else in this spot.  No biggie.



Big Max pumpkins -- seeds purchased on eBay this year



Sunflowers (Mammoth, blonde, and Evening Sun)  I need to remember that I planted them across the row so that they would make a pretty backdrop photo for the pumpkin patch.  The seed packets were about two or three years old.


Some of the leftover seeds I planted in the chicken yard.  The milk crates over them help the plants get a start.  After a while I'll take off the crate and let the chickens eat the plant.  These are extra zucchini plants.


These are extra birdhouse gourd and mustard seeds.  I got a free "surprise" pack of mustard seeds when I got the eBay pumpkin seeds.  Whee...  Oh well.  They will be good for the chickens.




1 comment:

patty a. said...

You got a lot planted! I started my butternut squash, yellow squash and zucchini in the house and I think I will be transplanting them to individual pots. It does seem like it is finally starting to warm up a bit so the plants can go outside. I still need to do work in the place I plan on planting them. I dumped leftover dirt in the bed and hadn't spent time spreading it out. It will be one of those jobs I will have to work at a little each day.