Saturday, December 26, 2020

Garden Party Is Finished! -- 2020 RSC Wrap Up

This week I finished everything on my Garden Party quilt!  I am in love with this quilt.  It may be my all-time favorite quilt that I have completed.


Garden Party is a pattern by Bonnie Hunter.  Oh I love it!  It was raining when I took the photos.  It was Christmas eve.  I quickly rolled it and shoved it into two grocery bags.  I wrote a quick note from Santa and put it on my friend's porch.  I have been working on this quilt making blocks in the colors of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) for a few years.  It all started during a red month and I made little red 9-patches and made some blocks as leader/ender projects.  So MANY of the scraps in this quilt were given to me in little bags that were left on my porch by the same friend that I gifted it.  


I backed it with a blue fabric from my stash.  I almost had enough.  You can see I used a different piece of fabric at the top.  I made this quilt a little bigger than Bonnie's original pattern.  The quilt is square.  It can be put on the bed any way.  I trimmed it so that it did not cut off the points on the edge.  It is not perfectly square.  One corner I had to sacrifice a few points.  BUT I love it and it is BEAUTIFUL.  

My friend didn't notice me sneaking into her driveway.  She noticed it late on Christmas eve when she looked out side to watch the start of the snow.  A few hours after I finished it and took this photo the rain had turned to snow. By Christmas morning we had about 8" of beautiful, fresh snow.  It was definitely a white Christmas.

I'm linking up at Elm Street Quilts because it was my goal this month to finish this quilt.  Woohoo!


I'm linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for the RSC20.


Since this is a wrapping-it-up post for 2020, here's a flashback of some of my 2020 RSC projects:

I finished this quilt around Valentine's Day.  It's called Catchin' Some Rays.  It was gifted to the neighbor's granddaughter at Christmas.  It was also a Slow Sunday Stitching project when I made all the little hexagon flowers last year during the pink, orange, and light blue months.


I finished my Sand Castles quilt top.  It needs to be quilted.  This is also a Bonnie Hunter design.


During one of the blue or light blue months I made this quilt back.


It ended up on this Wings of Spring quilt that were blocks won in the Block Lotto 


During a green month I made this quilt back.


It ended up on the back of my #SSSSQ (mystery quilt along with the awesome Kevin the Quilter.)  The colors for this quilt were determined when the cutting happened for pink and green months since I had two large bins of both in my scrap totes.


I got this charity guild quilt out during the dark blue month.  It still remains a flimsy.


During a purple month I whipped together this little mug rug/coaster thing that still sits beside my computer today.

One of my goals for 2021 is to finish this Go Four It quilt that has been a great quilt to use up all those 1.5" squares that I make when I'm working on RSC projects.  I have almost all of the blocks done for this quilt.  The next step is to make the neutral end half blocks.






24 comments:

scraphappy said...

Such a productive year! I think that Bonnie Hunter's Garden Party is going on my list for this year. Seeing yours all finished up just makes me happy! So many pretty quilts this year. Making up a back in the color of the month is such a smart idea. I think this year will be heavy on borders and backings for me. Looking forward to a productive 2021!

maggie fellow said...

i like the idea of making backs for the color of the month - great work this year and I look forward to seeing next year too.

Darlene said...

Great work. Garden party is a beauty. Hoping to join the RSC this year.
Thanks for all the inspiration.

Julie in GA said...

Your Garden Party quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Yet you gave it away--must be a very good friend. You had many beautiful finishes for the year!

Kathy S. said...

Come join the fun! There's so much inspiration of scrappy goodness with the RSC it's hard for me not to have many starts.

Betty the quilter said...

I'm really impressed you were able to part with that beautiful garedn party quilt. Like Julie said "must be a really good friend". Bring on 2021, we are all ready to RSC party.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your Garden Party, it's such a beautiful quilt. I don't know if I can fit this pattern into this year's projects but I'm going to try! Happy stitching!

Preeti said...

Garden Party is totally spectacular. Does not appear that the lockdown/quarantine slowed you down :-) Wish you a very happy new year and continued creativity on 2021.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your Garden party quilt! what a great RSC project!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Isn't it amazing how it all added up? I love the story of the gifted quilt on the porch. We got some snow on Christmas also and it just starting snowing here now again. Hope you have a great time this coming week.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lot of beauties here! I love your Sand Castles, and your Wings of Spring, so pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Garden Party is gorgeous, and what a lovely gift for your friend! I like your idea of working on quilt backings in the color of the month, too!

Deb A said...

Garden Party is amazing! Love how it came out and I'll bet the new owner is just tickled pink with it! Great job this year.

Frog Quilter said...

Garden Party is beautiful and so are the rest of your masterpieces!!!

Cathy C said...

Your Garden Party is such a beautiful gift!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on completing your gorgeous Garden Party quilt for your friend, Kathy!! You made progress on many other projects, as well. Nicely done!

Jenny said...

Your friend must have been so thrilled to receive Garden Party from you and Santa, such a wonderful gift. Great idea to piece quilt back kings in the colour of the month, I'd never have thought of that. Congratulations on all your beautiful RSC creations this year.

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh...I'm going to have to go look for my magazine with that Garden Party pattern in it. I'm sooooo inspired and jealous of that lucky recipient.
I really like your idea to make backs in the color of the month. I might have to try that.

patty a. said...

Congratulations on getting Garden Party done! It turned out fabulous!

eileen said...

Love, love your garden party quilt...and what a wonderful gift!!!
Fantastic!!

sue s said...

Oh your garden party is spectacular! I still have tons of blues and gold/yellow 4 squares for Kevin's SSSS that I hope to put together this summer. I too am joining the RSC challenge for my second year, hoping to finish last year's too. Happy New year to you!

gayle said...

I love your Garden Party! It's one of my favorite Bonnie patterns ever!
And good for you for getting so much done this year! Lovely work!

mangozz said...

Garden Party is beautiful! I've always loved that design but don't know if I would ever attempt it with so many pieces.

Patty said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish! Happy new year!