Sunday, June 18, 2017

Kite Girl Finds a Friend

Earlier this spring I went through my blocks and WIPS and UFOs and I came across Kite Girl.  She needed one more friend.

 
This month I not only pieced another block, but embroidered it as well.
 
You can find the FREE pattern for this block at Q is for Quilter.
 
The block is made from 2" squares.  The block pattern can be found at Q is for Quilter blog.
 

All of the kite girls and embroidered now.  I can start putting them together someday...  I will be using a kona solid as the sashing.  I even already bought it.  I just don't know when that will happen.  I took in TEN customer quilts to longarm and have THREE guild quilts to longarm.  I'll put some of my projects on the back burner for now.

BUT I do have to start working on something new in my to-go bag!  I chose this embroidery project.  I've never done anything like this before.  A friend gave me this package.  It didn't have any floss with it.

 
Someone donated a ton of floss to our guild.  I went and got a few skeins (enough for this project) and started with one little bear ear...
 
 
That became two bear ears...  Then I STOPPED with the bear ears.  I thought it might be better to just start in the center of the embroidery quilt and work my way out... using different needles and colors of floss as needed.  Is that the way it's done?  How do you do it?
 
1) Do you work from the center?
 
2) Do you finish all one color first?
 
3) Other?

 
I'm linking up with Kathy who blogs at Kathy's Quilts.  Every week I am inspired to find things to work on while waiting somewhere for something.  My sew-to-go bag is always in my truck and ready with a project.  I find that I'm having more finishes this year vs. starts because I work on something instead of buying magazines that inspire me to start more WIPS!  Check out all of the inspiration today at Slow Sunday Stitching.
 
 

7 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have a couple of hand stitching projects for car trips and waiting rooms. For your embroidery, I would work on one colour for a while and then switch when I got bored...

Chantal said...

Cute little bear design. I always start in the middle. I work one color, then the next, without moving the hoop. If a color goes beyond the hoop, I'll let the thread hang on the side so I can continue with it when I move the hoop. It makes for less stops. But that's just me.
Enjoy the process. ;^)

Quilter Kathy said...

I always have my hand stitching bag with me too... I love hand stitching and always look for opportunities to relax.
I have not made a quilt like this before and am interested in the advice from others.

Robin said...

I know what you mean about starting new projects. As I work on something my mind is always dreaming about the next project. I've decided to just concentrate on what I'm actually working on and enjoy the journey. The next project will come around soon enough. The kite girls are very cute and colorful. Nice job!

CathieJ said...

When I embroider I usually start with one section and just keep going finishing one color at a time. This looks like it is going to be really cute. Good luck getting all that long-arm quilting completed. I love your kite girls.

ClaudiaB said...

Is there a pattern for the kite girl? I love it.

Kathy S. said...

You can find the FREE pattern here:
http://qisforquilter.com/2013/11/vintage-sunbonnet-sue-pieced-quilt-pattern/