Saturday, June 6, 2020

RSC20 -- The Start of the Jelly Roll Rug


Today I am working on a Jelly Roll Rug.  These pink strips were given to me by a friend who had a daughter that started sewing.  She was just learning to rotary cut.  They are not completely uniform.  I am using batting scraps that I had a 30 gallon tub of that I cut with my Accuquilt strip die.  I am not following the pattern exactly, but I think what I am doing will work fine and help with the strips not being cut to the right size.  I am going to continue putting them together using the color of the month until it is the right size.

I did a Google search and found this formula:  Subtract the width from the length. Example: 36 inches - 24 inches = 12 inches. So if you begin you initial chain of 12 inches your final oval rag rug will be 24" by 36".  I found this info at Rag Rugs by Erin.

I want my rug to be 89" long x 26" wide to fit the area in our bathroom by the bath tub.  I am doing an experiment and making it this size by the first Google search I found.  So I am starting with a center strip of 63".  Let's see where this takes me.

Here's a link to the Jelly Roll Rug Pattern.

I have had this project on my WIP Wednesday list ever since I purchased the pattern and made a small coaster to test out the pattern.  Let the fun begin.

I'm linking up to Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC20.  Check out all the fun projects!

SoScrappy

I hope to spend some more time in my garden today and mow.  It look like a beautiful Ohio day!  This is what it looked like yesterday before I got some of my weeding done.  I have waited long enough to see if the old seeds that I had were going to come up.  There was no luck with the old squash and pumpkin seeds.  I still have time to replant.  I don't know if I've ever had a summer where I didn't have fresh zucchini!


Here it is after I finished working yesterday.  I still have some weeds to get rid of and things to plant.  Hopefully I will get it to the place where I can plant the rest of my seeds tomorrow morning really early before I let the organic pest control system chickens and ducks out of the coop.


The cut off pots protect things such as peppers, acorn squash, and watermelon from the rabbits that have been nibbling on the young plants.  The old swimming pool ladders are where acorn squash and cucumbers will hopefully climb.  My tomato cages are old tv antenna that I cut with the cutting torch years ago.  They should last a long, long, time as tomato cages.  I still remember the day I put Owen on the preschool bus and rushed to get them cut before he came home.

7 comments:

Deb A said...

The ladder! OMG - you are one smart cookie. I'm stealing that for when I attempt to deweed my garden and replant. My daughter is looking at what it takes to raise chickens.... we will see how that research goes! Good luck with the rug - I'm always amazed at all the fun projects I see when I visit blogs. It will be fun to watch your progress.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Have fun with the rug! I'll look forward to seeing how it comes together! Your garden looks great - ours is miniscule by comparison. But we're still hoping to get pumpkins, zucchini, and cucumbers!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The garden looks prepared for growth. If to check out that rug pattern...

maggie fellow said...

good ideas for the garden and I like the way you are doing the rug.

Cathy said...

My great grandmother made the most beautiful braided rugs from old clothes. Your jelly roll rug just brought back that memory of her showing me how to make them.

No predators get your chickens? Something got ours in the middle of the night one time and there was nothing left but a few feathers. That was about ten years ago and I haven't felt like raising them since then.

I like to recycle things for use in the gardens too but I've never used a pool ladder or TV antennae! Good for you!

Jenny said...

I've never heard of a jelly roll rug so I'll be watching your progress with interest.

KatieQ said...

I have both the rectangular and oval jelly roll rug patterns. I was really excited when I bought them a few years ago, but I haven't opened the patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.