Saturday, June 6, 2020

Testing New Blogger The Building Starts

Yesterday as our son and I went outside to swim before the thunderstorm I took a few photos of my husband starting the location of the new building.  He's awesome at earthwork.


This is our view to the north from the pool  (on the other side of the swingset.)  See how there is a hill there?  That nice pile of wood scraps is MINE.  My husband was going to throw it away and dump in on the "dump pile".  I had him scoop up about six other buckets of it and dump it in my chicken yard.  When my husband saw how nice the stuff really was and how much the ducks and chickens LOVED picking the bugs out of it, he decided to just pile it here for me until it's time for him to move it.


Here's my husband's digging project for the next few days.  I can't wrap my brain around how he's doing this, but I believe he's making the driveway wider at this point.


He's had this tractor/backhoe combo since his early 20's.  See how he knows exactly how to put the outriggers and the bucket to get the tires off the ground.  I love to watch him operate the bucket.  It's like he's using his hand.  When I operate it it's not so smooth.  I do have to say I love to mess with him a lot.  Sometimes I would call him on one of my days off work and ask him where the keys to the backhoe were.  As long as he thinks Owen and I are safe, he lets me use stuff.  When I use it I am usually digging up dirt and moving it to where I want.  It's super important to watch where the bucket is when turning -- DON'T hit the house... DON'T go in the creek...  Those are big rules!  Be careful going up the hill.


This is what it looks like on the side of his big attached garage on the new house today.  I'll post updates.  My husband and I love before/after shots.


We can watch what's happening from the cool water of the pool.  The water was 80 degrees yesterday.  We've talked about getting a larger pool.  I think my husband is waiting for some of the construction and earth work to be done before expanding.  This will be fine for this summer.  I see in the background that the black dump truck has come out to play.  Normally it sits out in the field.  I love it when my husband uses it as well.  He "made" that truck when he was in his 20's.  It was originally a really long dump truck that hauled lime and the bed had deteriorated.  He replaced the bed, changed up everything and made it a shorter dump truck.  He's very mechanical like that.


My swimming partner!


Well, I got this far with the new Blogger.  So far, so good.  I did notice that it took a little longer to upload the photos, but I was able to upload them all at once.  I haven't uploaded anything from my phone yet.  We'll try that on a different post.  Happy Saturday!  The dump truck just went by with a full load.  I need to get out there and take some pictures!  Woohoo!

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! Crazy to think that your DH has been rebuilding (and using) heavy machinery for that many years!