Thursday, June 25, 2020

On the Frame -- CM Tan, Peach and Aqua Quilt

It's a rainy day with me playing taxi to the kid today.  I did manage to get a friend's quilt on the frame this morning just in case I got a few spare minutes this evening to work on it.  Wow on that sunlight coming in the window even though it's raining...


This friend usually gives me unusual challenges.  The challenge on this quilt is that instead of quilt batting she gave me a blanket to put in the quilt sandwich.  So far it's going okay.  The quilt will not have a lofty softness to it, but I think it will be fine.  Normally she shops at Zinck's Fabric Outlet.  Normally she gives me a bag of polyester batting that she purchased for under $7.  Many quilters that buy things in bulk (like batting and backings) shop there.  I have not been there.  


3 comments:

patty a. said...

That blanket doesn't look too thick so I hope it quilts ok for you. A few years ago my brother wanted me to make him a heavy quilt for his bunk on the tour bus. He is technical support for major rock bands and much of the time they travel on buses. He finds that the busses are cold. He gave me a blanket to put on the back. It was a well worn wool blanket that came from our grandfather who use to work at the Great Lakes navel base. It was at one time a white blanket that was used in the infirmary. After years of washing and use it was now beige and like thick felt. There were a couple holes in it which I patched with wool and the top was wool that were suiting samples I got from some tailor in Canton. I used a wool batt and by the time I got it done was it ever heavy! The binding was made with fabric from a pair of wool pants that belonged to out dad. I washed everything beforehand so the quilt is washable. I think the weight of it would have held down a small child! My brother loved it. Unfortunately with the pandemic he has been out of work.

Gretchen Weaver said...

That blanket looks like an old type flannel sheet, I have some of those. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, maybe I'll try using it in a quilt sometime. Happy stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Customer challenges? Gotta love 'em! Sigh...