Monday, June 22, 2020

Moving It Forward Monday

Sometimes you just need to throw a quilt on the longarm frame and relax and do some freehand stippling.  I haven't quilted many quilts without the use of my stitch regulator.  I turned it off and just stitched mindlessly away on this Wings of Spring quilt.


I won these Wings of Spring blocks in the Block Lotto on 3/31/19.  I pieced the back of this quilt last month when I found a blue floral print sheet and added some blue orphan blocks for the RSC20.

I am quilting it with a very large freehand stipple.  I use my left hand as a guide to remind me what size to make the stipple.  It should make this quilt extra soft.  I am using left over customer Hobbs batting pieces.  It's not my favorite batting because it throws a lot of lint.  That's okay for the most part, because most of the moving parts of my Nolting 23 longarm are inside.  Lint doesn't get sucked into the bobbin case.  My favorite batting is Warm & Natural.  Have you seen the price of it lately?  Holy cow!  It's been a while since I have bought a roll of it from JoAnn Fabrics with a coupon.  But even with a coupon it has gone up at least $100 a roll since I bought it last.  I will need to check out other batting options.

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is pretty. Sometimes it just feels good to do mindless sewing. Happy stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ugh! I hadn't realized that the price of Warm and Natural had jumped that high. :o((

Regarding your non-regulated stitching... That's crazy talk, Kathy! I've NEVER quilted without my stitch regulator. NEVER!!! (I know I should try it, but I haven't been able to make myself do it.)

patty a. said...

I don't have a stitch regulator on my Pfaff 1475 home sewing machine - I am the stitch regulator! LOL!! Going fast and not having to worry about the size of the stitches would be great, but you gave yourself a challenge and that's a good thing! I know what you mean about the cost of batting! I recently bought a roll of king sized batting from a place and I thought the price was pretty good. I forwarded you an email from the place this morning. They seem to have "sales" all the time. You could at least check it out and see how their price compares to JoAnns.