Saturday, October 24, 2015

Pat Sloan's Vacation Time Mystery 2015 RSC15

Pat Sloan had another fun mystery QA this year.  It's called Vacation Time.  You can see other participants' quilts and quilt tops on Pat Sloan's blog here.

My plan for my quilt was to just use scraps.  Each month I used the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2015 (RSC15) for the main color and then the RSC15 color for the previous month for the background color.  What a gorgeous Ohio fall day for this evening photo.



I arranged the blocks in the same way that Pat Sloan did for her finished layout.  (I don't like trying to figure out where each block needs to go by myself.)  I threw caution to the wind and didn't worry about where the colors would end.  I didn't put on my special decoder glasses (that came with one of my kid's toys) to check for value.

When I got to the first border, I picked something out of the Christmas print bin (because of the red/green color contrast.)  I LOVE how the stripes in the 1" border seems to pull things together.  I did add an additional 3.5" border of another fabric that could not be sorted by color.  I added this border because I longarm the quilts myself and I am not a fan of 1" borders on the edge. 

My plan is to quilt it with a Circle Lord giant template (not decided yet).  I'm actually considering using my Birdy template just because it's new and I need practice using it.  Not sure yet...



But then I thought the Birdy quilting may be just a little too much and am highly considering Circle Lord Loopys:



I'm linking up with Angela and the RSC15 group here.

RSC 15

8 comments:

ES said...

I like your finished quilt top a lot! I love using up scraps to create quilts! I like the pink and yellow block the best, but i think all the colours work very nicely together.

Julianne said...

I love it, I think it turned out great! That birdy pattern is cool!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations of your finish. Throwing caution to the wind surely paid off this time. Love the new quilting pattern. Have fun with the finishing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I think it turned out marvelously -- good for you!!!!

Karen said...

Very pretty finish. I agree we are having nice fall weather in Ohio. The leaves are beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't blame you ONE BIT for not wanting to puzzle the layout on your own!! Enjoy the quilting of your newly complete top.

Nell's Quilts said...

Great to have another finish under your belt. Have fun perfecting your new quilting patterns.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on a great finish. I'm jealous that you own a long arm : )