Saturday, April 4, 2020

RSC20 -- Scrap Happy Saturday -- Light & Bright Blue

It's beautiful outside today.  Right now it's 65 degrees.  I cut a few sets of HSTs for box kite blocks (a Bonnie Hunter pattern.)  I also made just a few light and bright blue four patches.


I did get my big perennial bed cleaned out for the most part.  Thanks to Patty's advice to dab my poison ivy spots with alcohol on a cotton ball most of my poison ivy is to the red scab stage.  That's a really good thing.  I do have a new spot from working in the flowerbed again, but it's under control.

Immediately someone took advantage of the situation and stacked STUFF in front of the flowerbed.  Guess I won't be digging in there much in the next few weeks anyways.  I can still access it.


Here's a better view...  The bushes got trimmed waaaaaaay down.  They'll grow back.


This flowerbed is in the shade most of the day.


The daffodils are almost blooming.  There's all kinds of perennials in here.  Different times of the year produces different pretty flowers.  Most of them were given to me by someone or I dug up from the house I had before we were married in 2003.  There's yummy asparagus in there and herbs too.



My husband has been doing some work with the items that he has.  He put a new culvert in at the end of the driveway.  I'm so thankful he's so handy and knowledgeable with this.  He loves being home.


He stopped for a bit to play "safer" lawn darts with us.  He kept saying, "One more..." because I was beating everybody.  My son and I are quite competitive with games like this.




The new "normal" at our house is the delivery of groceries.  It's a weird process for me.  I haven't let our son go into a store for about a month.  He touches EVERYTHING.  For now this (and Amazon) are the two safest ways to get supplies...

I've been shopping online and having things delivered to our door. When items arrive I am the only one allowed to "touch" them. I wear gloves. I wipe everything down with diluted Clorox.  It's about an extra $25 to have things delivered on an app I use called Instacart.  So I try to make it worth our while and order about $200 worth of supplies (food, soap, staples, batteries...)

I try to order ahead so that I can put things in "quarantine". I have a couple of boxes of supplies stacked in the back of my truck. These are things such as a pack of batteries, a pack of soap, a few cans of soup... Luckily our stores around here that deliver things are making it so that you can only order a quantity of two of each thing. This helps the availability for others.

I mark the items by box on my calendar and the date when they come out of "quarantine". This may be a little of overkill on my part, but all three of us are considered "at risk" at this point. When the box comes out of quarantine I let our son open it. Who would have thought that this could be like Christmas for a kid?

Here I am in the kitchen in the house we live in taking a photo of the red delivery car at our house in progress.  I've never seen this person before.  There was no contact whatsoever with the person.  Thank you to those that work jobs like this and those on the front lines.  




I watched him gently unload all of the groceries and supplies onto the porch.  My husband's job was to keep our son occupied so that he wouldn't touch anything.  My job was to wipe down everything and put it away or to the next "quarantine" location.  I put things we aren't going to use for two weeks in a "holding tub".


Our son's birthday is June 12th.  Yes, I ordered the ice cream now.  Now I know I have it.  There will be Gatorade and orange pop that week too.  Shhh.  He doesn't know we have that.  

Things that I have ordered via Walmart.com has really slowed down.  I haven't received stuff I ordered over too weeks ago.  I'm not ordering any more from there for now.  I got oddball things like keto-friendly sweeteners and trash bags and pretzels and chips.  The things like flour and sugar and pudding and beans have not arrived.

I have been having luck with some items on Amazon like vitamin supplements.

I still haven't found out who delivers chicken feed.  I'm good until about the end of May.  I'm making the chickens scratch for their food now and letting them free range.  That helps a lot and also makes the eggs better in quality and flavor!

I'm linking up with Angela's blog for the RSC20.

grab button for SoScrappy

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

You did a great job on the flower bed, Kathy! About the groceries? Not overkill, at all. That's exactly what we've been doing!

Susie H said...

I love BH's Box Kite pattern. It always turns out pretty! I too worked in the yard this past week. Cut back bushes & cleaned out the row of daylilies. Then burned the debris. Took 2 days to do and then 2 days to get the kinks out of my legs! Lol! Keep staying safe. I don't do quite all that but we're all doing the best we can.

maggie fellow said...

My husband would be happy with that machine anywhere. I am not being that careful with the food that I use pick up. I did wipe the bags down with a clorox wipe. great blues for fun

Edith said...

Nice little assortment of blues to work with. I'm very impressed with your diligence with germ protection and deliveries.