Wednesday, July 15, 2020

WIP Wednesday 7.15.20

Wednesday is here already!  I was productive this week.  Here's what happened:

I finished the quilt top for my #SpiderSewalong on Instagram.  To me this quilt was one big quilt block with some big pieces thrown around it.  Lindsay @ penandpaperpatterns designed it.  Owen has already claimed it as his "chair quilt".  He has requested I add a "tag".  He loves silky tags.  It's a sensory/comfort thing.  Of course I'll add a tag or two at the top.  I've been saving them.


I finally got a few stitches done in my Linen & Threads stitch along during an oil change.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=14iRtXN_5hiY7rbb8mKWSi_9FVD_PS1r-

I finished longarm quilting an Egyptian Eye pattern on a friend's quilt.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1QTjk2noSRkF2O7ZO0J84Y-_7azloZreK

She gave me ANOTHER quilt to longarm when I dropped the above quilt off.  I'll probably refer this to Charolette's Charm quilt and add it to my list.  I have to add to the back to make it long enough so that I can use my template boards.  I'm not sure how to quilt this one yet.  It hasn't spoke to me.  I may step out of my comfort zone and try a pantograph instead of a template board.


Maisy the duck is still sitting on eggs.  She has two left that have not broken.  Duck egg shells are much harder than chicken egg shells.  I have had a duck egg fall from table top height and hit the hard floor and not break.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18-XAG4-BnWv1OhffcCBjr24Cx_O7Vt-r

Here's what her nest looks like when she is not sitting on it.  You could say she is "feathering the nest".  It keeps the eggs the right temperature for incubating while she leaves for a quick dip in the kiddie pool or to get a bite to eat.



  I marked the eggs with a Sharpie marker so that I can tell which eggs need to stay in the nest when I gather eggs.  There were four other eggs in the nest.  I can't leave them in there because she will leave the nest to tend what hatches.  The eggs she is sitting on have to be put in there the same day.


As for Blondie, the brood hen, she will win any staring contest around.  She continues to patiently sit on the eggs.  I have only had evidence that she has gotten off the nest three different times in the past eleven days.  I have even opened up the brooder part of the coop to let the air circulate.  Her "friends" can visit her through the screen (there's another door that they can walk up a ramp and visit).  Every other day or so I pull some fresh spearmint and stand it up in the corner of the coop.  Aromatherapy for Blondie!  It smells so good for a chicken coop.  Next year I need to plant some lavender.  Hens are supposed to love lavender.  





My garden is doing AWESOME!!!  Look at the gorgeous eggplant blossoms!  I also planted a few more things in my garden this week for later crops.


Linda  told me about a cool app called PictureThis.  The first seven days is a free trial period.  After that it is $29.99/year though iTunes.  I downloaded it for my phone.  I simply take a photo of the plant I am trying to identify and it gives me all kinds of info on it.  It's a super fun app!  Thanks, Linda!  I'm going to keep it for at least six days.  I may go the full year.  I'm saving all that money on gas because we're not going many places...  Might as well splurge on something.

The yucca plant that I transplanted from a root BLOOMED this year!!!  This is exciting!  The app helped me identify the tall weeds behind the yucca and ornamental grass as Hollow joe-pye weed.  I planted it in the chicken yard on purpose to get some growth -- any growth -- so that the chickens and ducks have something to nibble on and scratch around and find bugs.  I just kept planting perennials at random to experiment what would grow there and what the flock would devour.  Turns out they don't really like things that are rough such as iris, ornamental grass, sedum, yucca, or Hollow joe-pye weed.  They love hostas, lily of the valley, cora bells, mustard plants, and birdhouse gourds.


I currently have 60 on-going projects on my list.  They are separated into stages.

Pieces Need to be Cut & Sewn
 1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern from 
 2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
 3.  Rock Island Campfire Quilt
 4.  Picadilly Circle
 5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
 6.  Go Four It!  Scrappy 4-patches started as leader/ender, June 2017
 7.  Patriotic Folk Animals (from Americana Quilts Book) 8/8/19
 8.  Leah Day Building Blocks QA
 9.  Jelly Roll Rug
10.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
11.  Veggie Patch from Katie Mae Quilts
12.  Mod Mod QA (from Block Lotto, circles w/lines)
13.  Owl's Well That Ends Well (RSC19 project started 1/26/19)
14.  Kevin the Quilter's Sapphire Stars Mystery (started Summer 2017) I can't find it!!!
15.  Temperature QA (changing this project to a table topper)
16.  Kite Girl (RSC14)
17.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
18.  Cabins at the Lake (from Fons  Porter Magazine) only one house block complete.)
19.  2.5" Scraps from Dani -- making "cracker" blocks
20.  Sand Castles -- Bonnie Hunter string quilt started January, 2019 -- an RSC project
21.  Little Houses (3.5" blocks)
22.  Pumpkins & the Beanstalk (a 2nd quilt)
23.  Dresser Scarf (My Grandma's WIP from the 1970's found 1/1/20
24.  Linen & Threads Mystery SAL, Started 1/1/20 for my sew-to-go-bag
25.  Slabs with White Rectangle (RSC14 started -- needs blocks each month)
26.  Bonnie Hunter Box Kite class from March 2017
27.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter (started 4/1/2020)
28.  Orange, pink, grey kite blocks 2015
29.  Maroon Sampler Quilt
30.  Gypsy Wife QA started in August 2017
31.  Kathleen Tracy's 2019 Mystery Quilt Facebook QA started in March, 2019
32.  2016 Plus Blocks (from left over pieces of Soul Searching Blocks
33.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
34.  Waffle Blocks (August 2019 -- RSC19)

Blocks Still Need to be Made
 1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
 2.  Scrap Crystals (RSC15)
 3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
 4.  Drunkard's Path Variation quilt
 5.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt 

Blocks Are Made But Need to be Sewn Together (and/or Some Sashing)
 1.  Block Swap Adventure Orange/Yellow Sampler (2011-2012)
 2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
 3.  Orange/Blue Fish Blocks That I Won
 4.  Split Stars (blocks won from the Block Lotto, October, 2012)
 5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
 6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto; October 2012)
 7.  Fortune Teller (RSC14)
 8.  Sonja's Windows string quilt
 9.  Block Swap Adventure (2013) Churn Dash Blcoks
10.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks 5/17/17 QA
11.  Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18
12. Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May 2018)
13.  Bonnie Hunter Garden Party (started 3.18.17)
14.  Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN Dot Dot Dash Bag, Won April, 2018

Quilt Back Needs to be Made (Tops are Done)
1.  Card Trick (pink and blue)
2.  Hunter Green Star Quilt
3.  Good Fortune -- A Bonnie Hunter Mystery started Thanksgiving weekend, 2018
4.  Soul Searching -- Julianne sent it to me on 8/29/19
5.  #SpiderSewalong quilt from Instagram

Ready to Longarm
1.  Bubble Gum Pink & Navy Quilt
2.  Charolette's Charm Quilt


I'm linking up at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers.  Check out all of the fun projects!

Quiltfabrication

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I love that spider quilt. He quilting will be so much fun. I hope the last eggs don’t break. It would be fun to see her reaction to the chicks.

patty a. said...

The spider quilt top turned out so cool! Lots of negative space to quilt. It seems your on-going project list never gets any shorter! LOL!! You got the nine patch done and then added the spider and the charm quilt. Yikes! The eggplant blossoms are pretty. Let's hope they turn into eggplants! The lavender would be good to plant because it attracts bees which in turn would pollinate your garden. I have 6 lavender plants and the smell is so nice when I am out there watering them. I just haven't figured out if I need to prune them. The flowers are fading a bit right now and I am sure the heat wave we are suppose to get will fry what left of the flowers. I know they need fertilized. I had better do that this weekend. Is the duck hatching just chickens? Do you eat the duck eggs?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Glad the picture app worked out for you. It has helped me identify things when I was puzzled. Was it hogweed? The garden looks fabulous. In my tiny yard, I just grow flowers. And I do grow basil as I love pesto. It freezes real well and I need to do a big batch this week.

THE ONLY TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD ® said...

INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

See how it works

Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
services, we are here for you anytime any day.

Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

#STAYSAFE