Sunday, March 8, 2020

Grandma's Dresser Scarf -- Slow Sunday Stitching

I have another vintage project in my sew-to-go bag.  It is a dresser scarf that was a WIP left behind by my grandmother.


I do not have the instructions for the dresser scarf.  My grandma started the outline of the scarf in brown.  The project is in a tin that had miscellaneous embroidery floss, some needles, the dresser scarf, and a little pair of scissors.  Every time one of the students sees the tin for the first time they get excited and think that I have cookies in it--nope.   Here's a photo of the happy little tin:



I found it in one of the boxes of "stuff" that I inherited so long ago.  My grandma passed away April 18, 1975.  She was a very serious needle crafter.  She won NUMEROUS grand champion ribbons at the Ohio State Fair back in the day.  This project has not been worked on since at least 1974 -- 46 years ago!  I have many, many memories of my grandma working on various projects and crafts and am very fortunate to have several of her finished projects.  I know she would be super proud of me that I inherited her love of sewing, quilting and creativity.

I Googled and Googled for instructions on this dresser scarf, but didn't find any specific color ways.  I'm going to let my creativity flow (which is pretty sure the way I think my grandma was going to do it) and finish this project for her.  I have the perfect spot for it on a dresser in our bedroom.  I smile every time I open the tin to work on this project.  I am pretty sure I will display the tin on the scarf with a photo of my grandma next to it since I enjoy thinking of her so much while working on it.  Here's how it is progressing so far.  I'm making what I think are supposed to be grapes into flowers to "make it my own".


Grandma's tin with her project is below.  I love the scraps of embroidery floss and how the embroidery hoop fit perfectly into the tin.  It's her version of my sew-to-go bag!  Great minds think alike.  The needle she had in there was super tiny.  I know she wore glasses.  I was about nine when she passed away.  I didn't know much about her eyesight.  I'm guessing it was better than mine unless her needle threader was with another project.


I found more stitching time at bowling.  Great job bowling this week.  Owen got a 141 on his first game.  I'm glad he's really happy about bowling.


His bowling has really improved!  He got a 141 in the first game today.  Then he got happy and started showing off his dance moves between frames.  His next game was a 90 and the game after that was 70.  He was having fun...

I did make quite a bit of progress on my Linen & Threads monthly clue.  I'm still loving this blue!




I'm linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Slow Sunday Stitching

7 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's wonderful that you have a project to finish from your grandmother. That makes such a great memory. Your counted cross stitch project is pretty.

Julierose said...

Isn't that a great piece of memorabilia you've found!;))) I have some of my Grand-mere's written out recipes that I cherish...and her crochet pieces...from lovebirds to pretty hoop skirted maids...she taught me knitting and embroidery...I still miss her...may you remember yours each time you stitch...hugs, Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

How awesome to have your grandmother's scarf to finish. I have one from my mother that needs to be finished too. Trouble is I do not have the thread that matches. Happy Sunday Stitching!

Deb said...

Goodness your post brought back strong memories of my own grandmother, she is the person who taught me to hand sew when I was a little girl and i have been hand stitching since, she too had cookie tins full of stitching treasures and buttons, she passed when I was 8. I look forward to seeing the dresser scarf progress. Happy Stitching.

Kim said...

How wonderful to open the lid of your grandmother's tin each time and work on her table scarf. It must make you smile with memories of her. Your blue linen piece is gorgeous. I too, love the colour of the blue.

CathieJ said...

Oh how wonderful to have that tin and to finish the project that your grandmother started. This will be a cherished family heirloom. Be sure to write a short note about it to pass down to future family members. I love your SAL piece too. That blue is gorgeous...oh wait, I think it is the same color as my nails this week. LOL

patty a. said...

That dresser scarf is such a treasure! Just have fun playing with the colors to finish it.