Saturday, March 21, 2020

Scrap Happy Saturday -- Teal -- Happy WORLD Down Syndrome Day!

I counted my Sand Castle blocks and then counted again... 63.  I was one short.  I made the last block in teal.  (Sand Castles is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.)


Our local public libraries closed this week.  Luckily they gave us a notice before closing.  My son and I went in and got a ton (23) dvd's.  They still had so many on the shelves that we did not feel like we were hoarding them.  We got a lot of older releases.  It was right before closing time.  Let the piecing and movie watching continue.  The original Jumanji was an AWESOME movie!

I got three rows of my Sand Castle quilt put together.  (This is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.)  Here it is on the floor of my sewing area:


I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC20.

SoScrappy


Happy World Down Syndrome Day today.  Today being March 21st (3/21) I'd also like to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day.  It is recognized each year because those who just happen to have Down Syndrome have an extra chromosome attached to the 21st set of chromosomes (Trisomy 21 or T-21). Owen rocks his extra chromosome! We are so proud of him!

Here's one of my favorite spring pictures of him when before he was three years old.



Here he is yesterday at almost 13 years old (in June).  We walked down the lane to put a letter in the mailbox.  He walked on "his" side of the lane with all of the MUD.  The dryer side is mine.  LOL.



He has been busy this week with "mommy school".  We are working on counting money right now.  We use a different approach than most schools to count money called Touch Money.  You can see an example of our YouTube video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNABd2aIgLU

He has also been writing letters to people hoping to make their day.

Owen has SEVEN subscribers.  I told him we'd have a party if we got ten. LOL.

We also have old worksheets and workbooks and things I have brought home given to me by generous teachers when I sub with them.  Often times teachers have extra workbooks or old workbooks that they just don't want to throw away. 






13 comments:

Chantal said...

I viewed your video and Owen is awesome! The Centre were I work has counselors for children like Owen. Owen, you rock! ;^)

Mari said...

Sand Castles is looking great. It's going to be a wonderful quilt. Hugs to Owen!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I loved Owen's video and your way of teaching him to count money - that was great! Sandcastles is going to be beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yay for a TEAL Sandcastle block (and yay for Owen learning to count money!!)

Terri Lyn said...

I bought the book because I love that quilt. Btw, 8 now cuz I subscribed.

scraphappy said...

It sounds like you are staying busy and having lots of quality mommy time. Glad that you are able to do so much learning together. Great progress on your Sand Castle quilt. Bonnie Hunter patterns come with so many pieces!

scraphappy said...

I’m subscriber number 10. Party time!

Deb A said...

Great job Owen - I would have picked the muddy side to walk through too! It is much more fun =) Kathy - your sand castle quilt is looking great. Love the secondary pattern it creates. I plan to watch that movie with the kids this week. I watched The Princess Bride Friday night.

gayle said...

Owen picked the fun side to walk on!
Love your Sand Castles! I've got all my blocks sewn and am getting ready to start sewing them together. It's been such an enjoyable project!

KatieQ said...

I hope you gave Owen his party. I am subscriber number 11.

patty a. said...

Owen is such a wonderful young fellow! Your Sand Castle top is coming along great!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thank you for such a lovely post. The photos of Owen and your muddy lane are wonderful. And of course, your quilt is great too!

Susie H said...

Your Sandcastles are beautiful! I really love the dark brown background strings. It looks like quite the walk to mail a letter. I guess you live in the country? Owen is growing up to be a fine young fellow. So considerate to let you take the dry side. Hope your week is going great!