Saturday, March 6, 2021

RSC21 -- Green

I decided to start another project this week.  This time I am making Bricks and Stepping Stones.  This is a FREE pattern by Bonnie Hunter on her blog on the free patterns tab.  You can find it here.  I haven't worked with 2" squares lately.  The blocks seem so big!   They are adding up quickly.  I'll be making this in red and green.  I made a bunch of four patches earlier this week.


I picked mostly dark greens and threw in a few brights and blueish greens for variety. This pattern is called Bricks and Stepping Stones (free pattern by Bonnie Hunter here.


One row down already.  These blocks seem to go super fast for me.  I'll be using them as leader/enders.


I also cut up triangles for my Santa Tree skirt.  Just this little pile of scraps made enough triangles for the whole tree skirt.  It didn't put a big dent into my scrap bin, but it did give me the variety I was looking for in the deep forest greens.


I ran the above scraps through the Accuquilt die and made enough HST for my tree skirt.  I love the mix of forest greens.  Then with the little left over I made some rail fence blocks.  40/900 complete.


Then later in the week I just kept cutting the scraps on my desk from what I was working on and 24 more blocks appeared.  They invited some of the red and purple scraps to the party.  64/900 complete.



I put the scrappy forest green HST in this tree for the tree skirt.  1 of 4 complete.




I finished the quilting on one of my yellow projects from February -- The Citrus Quilt


I finished the Churn Dash quilt this week that I used yellow scraps for the sashings and pieced back.


I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC21.  The fun starts here.


17 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much GREEN, Kathy!! Congrats on quilting up your Citrus Quilt. The Churn Dash quilt turned out beautifully! Are there any UFOs in GREEN to come out to play this month???

Bonnie said...

Wow you are a green maven this week. I love your tree of life block. It's going to be a beautiful tree skirt. (Of course, if you put presents on it then you can't see the skirt!) I enjoyed making Bonnie's Bricks and Stepping Stones years ago. I threw everything in and it is a real scrappy quilt. Yours looks much better than mine. And yea for it going together quickly.

Kat Scribner said...

The churn dash is so pretty. Love the soft yellow and the swirly qulting!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Look at that tree for your tree skirt! It's gorgeous! I like that Bricks and Stepping Stones pattern, too. It does look like it goes together quickly!

Kathy S. said...

The Green Maven -- wow, sounds like a superhero. LOL. Our kid goes crazy when there are presents around. We won't cover the tree skirt in presents until very near Christmas. We will get to enjoy it at least a month. I need to swing by your blog and search your Bricks & Stepping Stones. I bet it's beautiful. :)

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Kat. It definitely has a soft vibe to it.

Kathy S. said...

Bricks & Stepping Stones seems to go so fast. That tree of life, however, is going slow. I may have to spend another day on the other three to get it to the next stage. Sometimes I feel I just have to stop everything until I get the quilt pieces I want done to the next stage. It's not even close to Christmas, but this tree skirt has taken a priority because I like it so much. It's very sentimental with the yellow fabric belonging to my grandma.

Cathy said...

Wow - a lot of green goodness and sewing going on at your place! I love the bricks and stepping stones pattern and have the same Accuquilt die, so I should follow your lead. Lol. In my “spare” time. Oh, the Citrus quilt is to die for!!

Deb A said...

Sew many fun projects! Congrats on the beautiful finishes - I love the churn dash. The bricks and stepping stones is such a fun quilt to make and always comes out so pretty. Love that the green invited the red and purple to play =)

Ivani said...

Hi Kathy, your Bricks and Stepping Stones will be beautiful in Christmas collors, great idea to make these blocks as Leader and Enders. You did a lot this week and your finished quilts look beautifully quilted also.

scraphappy said...

Such pretty dark and dusty greens so far. Your tree block is beautiful! Great progress on the yellow quilts as well. Such a busy week!

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are a dynamo this week. Maybe if I could stop cleaning things out, I could make some sewing progress.

Maggie said...

Busy bee! It was the first pattern of Bonnie Hunter I saw. Funny how we remember little things like that.

Jenny said...

You have been sewing up a storm! The bricks design looks fun to make.

swooze said...

Are you making a quilt each month in the given color? Beautiful work :)

Susie H said...

Very pretty tree block. Love those dark greens. The BH Bricks & Cobblestones is going to be really pretty too. Will you be doing rows by RSC colors? I really like that backing fabric on your Citrus quilt too. Perfect use for that striped fabric. Have a good week!

Teresa said...

I do like that tree block and keep it on my "to do" list, have not gotten to it yet, but maybe someday. Yours looks nice and precise.