Sunday, July 13, 2014

My Little Garden

I am finally back to part-time gardening.  When I worked full time (and a lot of overtime) I could barely keep up with my weeds.  I also had a lot of trouble with groundhogs eating all my beans.  I haven't had much of a garden for the past few years because being a mom is top priority.  Our son is much more independent now (and doesn't pull out all my newly planted plants.)  Here's a few pictures of my garden.  My "new" garden is inside my "old" garden.  Chickens rein the remainder of the "old" garden.  I LOVE this current set-up!

 
It started out with some tomatoes and peppers and zucchini.  I added an extension to the garden to plant spaghetti squash and green beans.  The short fence didn't work.  I had to add the orange snow fence to assure the chickens did not enter the garden.

 
Check out my gat in the back.  Yep, I made it myself.  LOL.  It's so tall because I didn't want to cut the boards shorter.  I would have had to get out the long extension cord for that...  I am quite proud of all the posts I put in and how straight my fence is standing!

 
Here's the sundial with what is left of my catnip growing all around it.  We don't have cats right now.  Apparently chickens don't like catnip.  I can't wait to see what the fall clematis looks like when it blooms (all along the fence in the back).  I love that smell.  The tiny white flowers are gorgeous.  The chickens like to hide from the hawks in the vines below.

 
Here's a chicken getting a little drink from the drinker that my husband help me make.

 
 
 
Good morning, girls.  They LOVE their greens.

 
The birdbath is a new addition to the pen.  I try to give them new things now and then so that they don't get bored.

 
 
And don't forget Tiana!  She's been sitting on those eggs for SEVEN days now.  She's not budging.  Yesterday I put an additional screen patrician between her and the others.  The eggs will most likely hatch while we are on vacation.  Hopefully my friend will take a few pictures of the baby chicks. 
 
 
This is my flowerbox garden right out the door from my kitchen.  It has tomatoes, peppers, spearmint, lemon balm, zucchini, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, acorn squash, and cucumber!

 
It looks like a jungle walking up the steps to the house.

 
Looks like we'll have cucumber in the salad tonight!
 

2 comments:

Julianne said...

So fun to see your home, garden and chickens...it all looks beautiful! Cant wait to see the baby chicks too!

Susan said...

Your garden is wonderful! And you have chickens! What I love the most is your flowerbox garden full of vegetables next to your kitchen door - what a dream!