Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Kayak

This year for mother's day I got a kayak.  I was a little worried if I would like it enough or if it would get used much.  Spots in my calendar have opened up and I have been using it about twice a week!  I am really enjoying it.

I helped a lot that I found a local facebook group of women that kayak.  There are many on-going local events.





Last week we went on an outing to see the purple martins at night.  I honestly went just because I wanted to paddle with the group at night.  BUT I didn 't realize how much I'd enjoy seeing the cool formation that the birds made.  It was like a movie when they flew in a tornado formation and low and formed a vortex.  Of course my son was texting me wondering what I was doing...He wanted a selfie to see.


Here's a simple light set-up that I got at the bin store for $1.  It works.  My paddle group knew it was me because nobody else had their kayak decorated as such.  That's the whole purpose to me.  It's hard to tell who's who on the water at night.


The lotus were beautiful!  You can't tell by this photo, but this one is about as big as an extra large grapefruit.


They were everywhere!



The trees along the shore were full of these birds.  They are called cormorants.  The trees looked like something in a Dr. Seuss book.












3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a wonderful way to spend a night! Thanks for sharing!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those lotus blooms are stunning. Looks like you are having fun and getting exercise at the same time.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh how fun, Kathy. I am so glad that you are enjoying your kayak. Looks like fun was had by all. I have never kayaked at night. Have a great weekend.