Wednesday, January 19, 2022

WIP Wednesday 1.19.22

 This week I had a sweet little finish.  I finished this Flannel Table Topper.  It measures 20" x 22".


I finished making all the block elements of the Full Stop quilt this week!  Angela at SoScrappy designed this sampler quilt for the RSC21 here.   Her tutorials for each block are. beautifully done!  We had a long weekend with Teacher Development Day on Friday, MLK Day on Monday, and a snow day yesterday.



I know some of the people that live in other states get a LOT of snow.  It's a nice 25 degrees outside today.  But I find it funny when quilters measure snow.  Here's my 12.5" Omnigrip ruler in the snow in front of the house off of the front porch.  You can see that the snow is just a little bit higher than the ruler.  My husband didn't get the right equipment running in the dark when he got home from work.  Hopefully he'll be able to come home early and plow today.  Quilt marathon for me...  All I know is that when the snow is up over my boots, as long as it isn't up to my waist, it's a workout to just walk in the yard.  Feeding and watering the chickens is a real chore going up and down that slippery hill.  But it gets done.


Here's the current situation of my truck.  If need be, I could brush if off, put it in 4-wheel drive, and pull it into the tracks my husband's dually made and we could get out.  But for now, quilt marathon.  LOL.


Then I stuck my 12.5" square ruler in the snow on the planter that used to be the old iron kettle that my grandparents used on butchering day.  It's not as deep, but it is in the windy area where you don't want to be standing when it's cold outside.  It really blows across that area.


Oh, I did start one new project this year (so far).  I'm call it Rainbow HSTs.  I don't have a current 3.5" project.  I am making 3.5" HSTs in the color of the month.  I was intrigued with what Jennifer posted about the magic 3, 6, & 9 scrap quilt theory.   Jennifer blogs at Life's Little Adventures.


Each Sunday I have designated to working on one old WIP.  I try to get the quilt to the next step until it becomes a flimsy.  This week I framed all the string blocks.  Boy, these blocks are a little wonky...


I still haven't gotten my sewing machine back from the repair guy.  My dear friend saw him over the weekend and he told her he still has it.  That means it's not done yet.  I was sewing along on an old Kenmore since mine broke right before Christmas.  It froze up on Tuesday.  I will take it and put it in the truck and drop it off when the repair guy calls me to tell me that mine is done.  (Fingers crossed.)

Now I'm sewing on a little bit newer Kenmore 10 that was left behind when a relative's ex left.  I think it's kinda a crappy machine.  Not all of the parts are there, but I made due with robbing from another machine.


Funny story... when I was having issues with the older Kenmore, I went to the other house to get the above machine and my mom's "Dressmaker" machine.  I was getting frustrated with the older Kenmore and couldn't get the tension just right.  

I opened the bobbin case of the older Kenmore and the bobbin shuttle fell out in two pieces.  Luckily I found the tiny screw that went with it.  I asked my husband for his tiny screwdriver.  He happily wanted to work on it.  So I set the bobbin shuttle for the above machine next to the one in pieces.  I went to change clothes while my husband went up to the other house to get his tools.  When I came back he proudly said, "I fixed it already!" like a proud husband.  Then he told me that he fixed the other one as well.  Oh no!!!  He said the screw on the other one was loose too.  I then told him that when I purchased my longarm and was trained by the sales person how to use it that when it comes to tension, that screw does a lot of work.  I was taught by the longarm guy that when you turn that screw you only adjust it the width of the hair on your arm!  My husband jumped up, came over with his little screwdriver and untwisted the screw.  LOL.  It only took me about 15 minutes and I had the right adjustment on it.  It was sewing great until it froze up.

But on Tuesday I still wasn't happy with the way the Kenmore 10 (in the photo above) was sewing.  I don't have a good vibe from the person that left it behind.  My mom's beautiful Dressmaker is still sitting in my sewing area in the box.  I decided to get it out and give it a go.  I still have all of my fingers and I haven't been scalped by catching my hair in the belt yet.  I'm going to play with it some more this week making quilt backs and getting to know the machine.  Isn't she a beauty?  


I also have a Singer 221 sitting in the garage.  Hmmm.  I have never used it because it doesn't have a wooden base.  I wonder if this base will fit it.  If I don't get a nice stitch on the Dressmaker I will try that one next.  It's a super cute machine!

49 Items remain on the WIP list.
Pieces Need to be Cut & Sewn
 1.  Cheddar Jack cat pattern
 2.  Digging up Bones (Owen's dinosaur quilt)
 3.  Rock Island Campfire Quilt
 4.  Picadilly Circle
 5.  ...And Sew On BOM at Quiet Play (one block to go)
 6.  RSC16 Folk Art Birds
 7.  Full Stop, started RSC21 (January,2021)
 8.  Leah Day Building Blocks QA
 9.  Dresser Scarf (My Grandma's WIP from the 1970's found 1/1/20
10.  Classic Meets Modern BOM
11.  Gypsy Wife QA started in August 2017
12.  Mod Mod QA (from Block Lotto, circles w/lines)
13.  Unity Quilt Along with Bonnie Hunter (started 4/1/2020)
14.  Rail Fence Blocks 328/900 complete started during the pink month of RSC21, January 2021
15.  Maroon Sampler Quilt--I found this on 2.6.21
16.  Kite Girl (RSC14)
17.  Amish Country BOM (from Lynn, Johnna's mom)
18.  Cabins at the Lake (from Fons  Porter Magazine) six house blocks complete.
19.  2.5" Scraps from Dani -- making "cracker" blocks
20.  Waffle Blocks (August 2019 -- RSC19)
21.  Little Houses (2.5" blocks)
22.  Kathleen Tracy's 2019 Mystery Quilt Facebook QA started in March, 2019     

Blocks Still Need to be Made
 1.  Bluepatch Mystery Quilt
 2.  Finding Nemo Scrappy Trip quilt 
 3.  We Can Do It Skill Builder Sampler
 4.  Drunkard's Path Variation quilt

Blocks Are Made But Need to be Sewn Together (and/or Some Sashing)
 1.  Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks 5/17/17 QA
 2.  Cruise blocks won from Libby
 3.  Cathy's CRAZY BY DESIGN Dot Dot Dash Bag, Won April, 2018
 4.  Split Stars (blocks won from the Block Lotto, October, 2012)
 5.  African Violet baby quilt (Block Lotto inspired)
 6.  Tall Fly (blocks won from Block Lotto)
 7.  Pre-printed cross stitch pillow sham (May 2018)
 8.  Sonja's Windows string quilt
 9.  Flower Baskets (blue and white with some applique) Block Lotto win 10/1/18

Quilt Back Needs to be Made (Tops are Done)
1.  Card Trick (pink and blue)
2.  Hunter Green Star Quilt
3.  Good Fortune -- A Bonnie Hunter Mystery started Thanksgiving weekend, 2018
4.  GO! ABC Quilt started during the pink month of RSC21, January 2021
5.  Stay Centered started February, 2021
6.  Plus Quilt (Be Positive) started in 2016; quilt top completed 1.1.22

Ready to Longarm
1.  Bubble Gum Pink & Navy Quilt
2.  Gobble, Gobble, pattern by Lori Holt, started February 2021 (back made 11.15.21)
3.  Rescue Quilt from my SIL (patchwork squares)
4.  Pink Patchwork Quilt (CM) longarm quilting for a friend with Cosmos
5.  Pumpkins & the Beanstalk (a 2nd quilt)
6.  Glad Tidings (Pam Budah sew-along mini) (Started 12.18.21)


I'm linking up with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers.  Come join the fun and inspiration!



No comments: