Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Special Tag

In this post I wrote about how much our son likes to feel tags (it's a sensory thing.)  Here he is in his "office" making a funny face when I tried to take a picture of him with his tag.  He's "all set up" as he calls it.



The purple swirl fabric and the green polka dot with the wonky yellow around it is a big pocket that temporarily holds a stuffed animal that I sewed into it.  (He's not supposed to take a stuffed animal to camp, but I knew how much comfort he would get if he did -- so I sewed a small stuffed animal into the pocket of the quilt for camp purposes.  Grown ups from the school attending the camp know me well enough that I put it in there intentionally and he's not just sneaking a stuffed animal to camp.)  It's not the stuffed animal, but the tag on the stuffed animal that is so important.

He also realized that I sacrificed my Levi jeans and cut the tag out of them to give him my very best tag that I owned.  It's the perfect length, it's a two-tag combination, and it's very silky -- a perfect tag!  I also put a hand-written quilt label on the pocket.

Oh the joy it gave me and my husband and I when Owen found the quilt label.  On the label it says:

To Owen,  I love you to the moon and back a million times.  Love, Mom.  Then at the bottom I put my name, city/state, and date.

He yelled, "Everybody stop what you're doing!  I found a note!"  My husband couldn't stop smiling when he realized how special the pocket of the quilt was to Owen.  Plus, my husband always supports the fact that I just love to sew.  He seems to LOVE all of the quilts we have and realizes how much time I have spend on them.

Here's the pic of the quilt back again.  The pocket is sideways at the top.  It's sideways because I liked the way two of the sides are caught under the binding.  It's also sideways so that when our son fold it that whatever is in the pocket doesn't fly out the end.  As it's hung over the clothes line, you can only see the green polka dot tag fabric outlined by the wonky blue and yellow.  That's half of the pocket.


3 comments:

Lisa J. said...

This is an awesome quilt Kathy. Thanks for sharing about the importance of the tag and the pocket in the quilt. It's a great story.

Julierose said...

Oh just love that pocket idea--my two grandgirls would just love it too..and that quilt finish--very nice work--"Someone
" looks very happy with it...hugs, Julierose

Lynette said...

Hi, Kathy! I've been scrolling back through your blog to catch up, and this post really gives me the feels. :) <3 So much love here!